Consultant in Palliative Medicine
Hours: WTE (11 Sessions) LTFW Negotiable
St Christopher’s was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and she led the development of the modern hospice movement. We provide a holistic approach to our care, offering help and support at home as well as in outpatient and inpatient settings. We are committed to delivering education and research programmes alongside expert practice related to the experiences of death, dying and loss.
Operating from two locations, one in Sydenham and one in Orpington, our efforts are focused on meeting the goals of people with a life-shortening condition and supporting their families and carers wherever we can. Our reach spans across a diverse population of approximately 1.6 million people within the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark. We employ around 500 staff (including bank staff) who work within the community and across our two patient sites. We are supported by around 750 volunteers, many of whom provide their invaluable services on a regular basis.
St Christopher’s is a charity, led by a Board of Trustees and we raise significant funds each year through the generosity and commitment of our local communities. In addition, we raise funds through commercial activities, including charity shops to provide care and support free at the point of need
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Consultant in Palliative Medicine who is passionate, innovative and collaborative to join our current clinical leadership team which comprises doctors, consultant nurses and AHP’s who are working towards the delivery of a new vision around specialist end of life care. The post will be ideal for an experienced clinician with a track record in service development and clinical leadership who wishes to engage with fresh challenges in the third sector. We also welcome interest from specialist palliative care register trainees who are within 6mths of completion of specialist training.
This role will focus on:
1. Supplementing the current senior clinical team in service development and expansion, specifically to;
- be part of the medical consultant body offering senior support to the organisation, including on call clinical cover (1:6) across community and the inpatient unit.
- take a lead (permanent or rotational) in development one of the key areas for example, clinical education, quality improvement or research.
- support the continuing development of integrated frailty services and our work integrating with the acute sector
2. Provide specific consultant expertise to:
- facilitate effective changes in medical practice as part of our transformation programme
- Support strategic development of medicine as part of our adaption to and influence of developments in palliative and end of life care here and elsewhere
The JD has been approved by the Royal College Physicians. For further information, or to arrange an informal visit, please contact Dr Joy Ross via 0776 6773278 or via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please have a look at our website for further information on all aspects of St Christopher’s at www.stchristophers.org.uk and to apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply Online’ button below.
Closing date: 8th January 2024
Shortlisting 8th January 2024