We have an exciting opportunity for autonomous Specialty Doctors in Anaesthesia to join our team at the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. The successful applicants will join a cohesive, forward-thinking department to deliver elective and emergency care, critical care and obstetric anaesthesia.
The West Suffolk Hospital is renowned for its welcoming environment, commitment to training, and exceptional quality of service. Our Anaesthesia and Critical Care department provides a supportive structure to facilitate the growth and progression of successful candidates, offering opportunities for experience in areas of interest and acquisition of RCoA core competencies for entry to UK training programmes. We are proud of our track record of entry into training programs following tenure with us.
This is a great opportunity to join an award-winning Trust and be part of a leading healthcare institution dedicated to providing outstanding care.Main duties of the job
Perform pre-operative assessments, evaluate patients' suitability for surgery, and develop appropriate anaesthetic plans.
Administer anaesthetics and sedation autonomously for ASA 1-3, ensuring patient safety and comfort.
Monitor patients closely throughout surgery, managing their airway, vital signs, and pain control.
Contribute to the management of critically ill patients in the Critical Care Unit as part of the critical care team.
Respond promptly to emergency situations, providing resuscitation and advanced life support as necessary.
Collaborate with consultants, colleagues, and healthcare professionals to coordinate patient care, review treatment plans, and participate in multidisciplinary team meetings.
Deliver post-operative care, including pain management and monitoring for complications.
Engage in teaching and training activities, providing guidance to junior medical staff, residents, and students.
Pursue continuous professional development by attending conferences, courses, and relevant educational activities to stay updated on advancements in anaesthesia and critical care.
Adhere to hospital policies, procedures, and guidelines, ensuring compliance with legal and ethical standards.About us
#BeKnown at West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust. By us. By our patients. By our community
We are a busy, friendly, rural NHS Trust providing high-quality care and compassion to more than a quarter of a million people across west Suffolk. We care for, treat and support people in hospital, at home and in various community settings.
The West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds provides acute and secondary care services (emergency department, maternity and neonatal services, day surgery unit, eye treatment centre, Macmillan unit and children's ward). It has 500+ beds and is a partner teaching hospital of the University of Cambridge.
Adult and paediatric community services, provided in collaboration with West Suffolk Alliance partners, include a range of nursing, therapy, specialist, and ongoing temporary care and rehabilitation, some at our Newmarket Community Hospital.
We do our utmost to achieve outstanding clinical outcomes for patients and our values of fairness, inclusivity, respect, safety and team work guide how we work and behave as a team.
With nearly 5,000 staff, from all over the world, we strive to make our organisation a great place to work. Whatever your role or ambition, we want to help you be the best you can be.
We promote a diverse and inclusive community where everyones voice counts and you can #BeKnown for whoever you are.
Join us. What will you #BeKnown for? Job description Job responsibilities
Please see job description and personal specification for full details.
The West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds is seeking dedicated and skilled Specialty Doctors in Anaesthesia and Critical Care to join our dynamic team. As a Specialty Doctor, you will play a vital role in providing high-quality anaesthetic and critical care services to our patients. You will work collaboratively with the medical and nursing staff to ensure the delivery of safe and effective care in accordance with established protocols and guidelines based on the trusts FIRST values.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MBBS or equivalent
- Full Registration with the GMC and a Licence to Practise
- PLAB 2 (if applicable)
- Shall have completed at least 4 years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in a relevant specialty or as a fixed term specialty trainee in a relevant specialty or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
- Primary FRCA examination or equivalent
- Member of a medical defence organisation
- ALS, APLS, ATLS or equivalent
- MD in Anaesthesia
- DNB in critical care
- Ability to anaesthetise ASA 1-3 patients independently
- Evidence of independent working in obstetric anaesthesia and critical care in the UK within the last 2 years, including providing anaesthesia for at least 20 caesarean sections
- Interest in point of care Ultrasound (POCUS)
- Interest in POM
- Interest and competencies in high-risk obstetric anaesthesia
- Ability to demonstrate appropriate and timely management of common anaesthetic critical incidents
- Management of common medical emergencies
- CME/CPD from the preceding two years (including appraisal and teaching)
- Logbook of cases
Technical Skills Essential
- Other academic qualifications eg BSc
- If you have a logbook of cases this should be included
- IT skills including working with electronic patient information systems
- Spinal and epidural anaesthesia, including at least 20 obstetric epidurals
- Transfer training
- Use of invasive monitoring including cardiac output monitors
Clinical Governance Essential
- Chest drain insertion
- Experience in other regional blocks
- Experience in inter-hospital transfers
- Knowledge of and involvement in clinical governance
- Completed audit project(s)
Desirable Management Ability Essential
- Understand basic research principles
- Capable of organizing and prioritising work appropriately
- Teamwork and good organisational skills
- Previous management experience
- Willingness to teach and become involved in the education of trainees
- Evidence of any departmental presentation skills
Employer details Employer name
- Educational experience or qualification
West Suffolk NHS Foundation TrustAddress
West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
Hardwick Lane, Quince House
Bury St. Edmunds
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.