We are delighted to offer this exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and self-motivated consultant to join our department. This will be a 6 month renewable contract up to 2 years in total. The successful candidate will cover general theatre lists as well as either labour ward or paediatric lists.
Depending on candidate choice, they may have the opportunity to participate in the relevant on-call rota once fully orientated to the department.Main duties of the job
This is a full time post of 10PA, divided into 9PA direct clinical care (DCC) and 1 PA supporting professional activities (SPA). Typical working pattern for rota without on-call commitment is 7 half day sessions per week of clinical care. There is a 4 week working pattern with a planned weekend trauma list one week of every 4 (remunerated as 3 sessions). The sessions are typically delivered flexibly across the weekdays, although the department may be able to accommodate some requests with regards to a fixed element to the work pattern.
If the successful candidate is interested and the opportunity arises during the contract to participate in the on-call rota then anaesthetic sessions within working hours would be adjusted accordingly to remain within a 10 PA job plan.
Separate on-call rotas are operated for general (including labour ward), paediatric anaesthesia and Intensive Care.About us
We provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East. We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care
for nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the best preforming Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
Our Trust has been rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Good' in all five of the main domains of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led, giving an us overall rating of 'Good'. We've also been awarded an 'Outstanding' rating for 'use of resources' by an NHS Improvement inspection.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around £10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending £25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors. Job description Job responsibilities Provide High Quality Care to Patients
1.1. The post holder must be medically qualified and maintain GMC specialist registration.
1.2. Develop and maintain the competencies required to carry out the duties required of the post.
1.3. Ensure prompt attendance at agreed direct clinical care Programmed Activities.
1.4. Ensure patients are involved in decisions about their care and to respond to their views.
1.5. Adhere to the Trust Customer Service Commitment and adopt a professional approach to customer care at all times.
1.6. Develop clinical practice through self-reflection and learning from experience, application of research into practice and active contribution within the multi-disciplinary team.
- Research, Teaching and Training
2.1. Provide high quality teaching to medical undergraduates and members of other health care professions as required by the Service Director. To contribute to training and teaching of medical trainees, medical students, other doctors in training and other staff groups.
2.2. Responsible for teaching and training non-Consultant postgraduate colleagues.
2.3. Where possible to collaborate with academic and clinical colleagues to enhance the Trusts translational research/audit portfolio, at all times meeting the full requirements of Research Governance.
- Performance Management
- Work with medical, nursing, other clinical and managerial colleagues to ensure high performance in the following areas:
- Clinical efficiency e.g. Length of Stay (LOS) reductions, admission on day of surgery, reducing cancelled operations and DNA rates.
- Quality of outcomes e.g. infection control targets, reducing re-admission rates
- Financial management e.g. identification, implementation and achievement of cost improvement programmes and participating in efforts to ensure services are provided cost effectively e.g. managing locum agency spend, monitoring and managing the drug budget to target, ensuring accuracy of clinical data for the team
- Operational efficiency e.g. day-case rates, waiting list activity and demand management.
- Medical Staff Management and Accountability
- 1 Work with colleagues to ensure Junior doctors hours are compliant in line with EWTD and
- New Deal.
- 2 Ensure that Trust systems and procedures are in place and followed to control and
monitor leave for junior medical staff and to ensure that there is appropriate cover within the clinical areas, including on-call commitments.
- 3 Adhere to Trust / department guidelines on leave, including requesting and
reporting absence, and professional and study leave, and to ensure that members of staff for whom you are responsible do the same.
4.4 Participate in the recruitment and induction of junior medical staff as delegated by the
- Participate in team objective setting as part of the annual job planning cycle.
- Responsible for on-going assessment and regular appraisal of all doctors in training, Trust doctors and non-consultant grades as delegated by the Divisional Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Participate fully in regular departmental activities including department meetings and team building activities.
- Review clinical outcomes in designated area using external benchmarking data where appropriate, to identify and advise variances to the Divisional Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Participate in clinical audit, incident reporting and analysis and to ensure resulting actions are implemented.
- Work closely with the Directorate in relation to clinical and services developments as delegated by the Divisional Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Participate in ensuring NICE, NSF, CNST and other national guidance requirements are reviewed and implemented and monitored in the speciality areas.
- Ensure clinical guidelines and protocols are adhered to by junior medical staff and any other staff for whom the post has responsibility and that these are updated on a regular basis.
- Keep fully informed about best practice in the speciality areas and ensure implications for practice changes are discussed with the Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Role model good practice for infection control to all members of the multidisciplinary team and adhere to the Trust Infection Control measures (available on the Trust Intranet).
- Report all clinical and non-clinical accidents or incidents promptly, and to co-operate accordingly with any investigations undertaken.
- Strategy and Business Planning
6.1 Work with medical managers and general manager to take forward the business planning and objective setting process for the directorate and Trust where appropriate.
6.2 Represent the Trust at appropriate clinical networks/other external clinical meetings as delegated by the Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Leadership and Team Working
- Demonstrate high level leadership skills with regard to individual performance, clinical teams, the Trust and when participating in national initiatives.
- Participate in any necessary management and leadership development courses as required by the Trust.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the multi-disciplinary team and Imperial College as required.
- Seek to resolve any conflict or differences of opinion through mediation, negotiation and discussion involving appropriate parties
- Provide commitment and leadership in relation to equal opportunities and appropriate senior level management of diversity issues, particularly as they apply to training, people management and service delivery.
- Research Opportunities
8.1 The post holder will be expected and supported to develop research initiatives, appropriate to previous experience and complementary to those programmes that exist within the wider research framework of the Division and Trust. However, for clinical consultants, research is normally seen as complimentary to delivering direct clinical care and supporting professional activities.
8.2 Excellent research opportunities are available throughout the Trust and with Imperial College. A number of funding opportunities are available from the Trust Research Committee and the Trust has experience in obtaining funds from among others the Department of Health, Medical Research Council, BBSRC, and the Welcome Trust.
- Honorary Academic Appointment with Imperial College Faculty of Medicine
9.1 The Trust supports and has facilitated a large number of Honorary Academic appointments with Imperial College Faculty of Medicine. Opportunities should be discussed with the Divisional Medical Director/Service Lead/ Divisional Director of Operations.
The post holder is required to participate in the annual appraisal system in line with the Trusts appraisal guidelines. Individual appraisal interviews will be held annually and reports, (including updated job plans) submitted to the Medical Director and HR Director. You are expected to inform yourself of the annual timetable for appraisal and ensure that appropriate time is set aside to update your portfolio.
- Clinical Excellence Awards
Substantive Consultants with at least one years service will have the opportunity to apply for local (and in time national) Clinical Excellence Awards.
- Job Plan
12.1 A job plan will be agreed between the appointee, Service Lead and Clinical Director upon commencement of the post. It is the post holders responsibility, working with the Service Lead to ensure that the job plan reflects an average timetable of activity.
The expectation is that the Trust and the post holder will work together to benefit the patient and individuals will view the job plan as a guide which may be amended in line with service changes. The formulation of a job plan should not prevent a flexible approach to work to ensure the efficient running of the department.
The Trust will aim wherever possible to keep the job plan activity to a minimum consistent with achieving the best quality patient care and ensuring that members of staff work in accordance with the European Working Time Regulations. Job plans in excess of 10 PAs will be subject to annual review to ensure that all activity contained in the job plan is clinically and organisationally necessary.
Proposed initial job plan:
This is a full time post of 10 PA, divided into 9PA direct clinical care and 1 PA supporting professional activities. SPA time is given to support personal CPD, preparation for GMC appraisal, governance and quality improvement activities as required for successful appraisal. This translates to 7 theatre sessions per week (each at 1.25PA, resulting in 8.75 PA for clinical work). The remainder of 0.25 PA can be delivered flexibly and suitable options will be discussed with the successful applicant.
The post holder will provide clinical care on theatre lists and cover labour ward if required.
For full details, please see job description attached.Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- FRCA or equivalent
- CCT in Anaesthesia or equivalent (on or within 6 months of inclusion on Specialist register at time of interview)
- Higher Degree
- Teaching Qualification
- Management Qualification
- Experience in high-risk emergency surgery
- Experience in high risk orthopaedics and trauma
- Advanced Obstetric or Advanced Paediatric training
- Experience in Burns anaesthesia
Employer details Employer name
- Regional Anaesthesia
- Experience in Bariatric surgery
- Previous consultant-level experience
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital
369 Fulham Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.