We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague to join our Healthcare of the Elderly team providing inpatient services and Same Day Emergency Care to older people living with Frailty in and around Plymouth. This opportunity has arisen due to a gap in our Specialist Trainees cohort and is a fixed term appointment for 6 months at registrar level.
The Elderly Care Department has four wards - Stannon ward (30 beds), Marlborough Ward (32 beds), Meldon Ward (32 beds) and Monkswell Ward (26 beds shared with Stroke team). They are fully staffed by Healthcare of the Elderly nursing and therapy teams.
The department works closely with Livewell Southwest, the community health provider. In UHP, there are 12 Consultant Geriatricians and 2 Associate Specialists who together provide an acute, general medical, geriatric and orthogeriatric service for a catchment population of about 450 000, based in Derriford Hospital. There are 1 Consultant Geriatrician, 2 GPwSIs and 1 Specialist Doctor providing a rehabilitation and community service based at the Local Care Centre on the Mount Gould hospital site.
Main duties of the job
Our registrars are expected to work alongside the responsible Consultant Geriatrician to provide continuity of care, rapid assessment of presenting conditions, development of management plans and diagnoses and communicate these effectively to the patient and their family members. Whilst the named Consultant Geriatrician for the day will retain overall responsibility for patient care, the registrar is expected to work independently wherever possible to plan and deliver patient care including making discharge decisions and leading MDT meetings.
This post will primarily be based on our inpatient wards with opportunities to contribute to medical cover for the Acute Frailty service or to undertake supervised specialty clinics, depending on skills and experience. We are keen to accommodate interests where possible and to encourage professional development of all Geriatric Medicine skills.
The successful candidate will be expected to take part in audit, clinical governance reviews, including morbidity and mortality meetings and participate in the departmental educational programme. They will also be expected to contribute to training of undergraduate medical and PA students. The department welcomes and would support post holders in attaining further post-graduate diplomas in Geriatric Medicine, Medical Education, or Healthcare Leadership.
This post is also open to applications from individuals wanting to work less than full time and such applications will be considered at interview.
We are a people business - where every member of staff matters and can make a difference. Patients are at the heart of everything we do. Joining University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust means becoming part of a team of dedicated staff, who are committed to leading the way through innovation, clinical excellence and great customer care. The Trust has great opportunities for career development in a highly progressive working environment. We offer all of this in a vibrant, modern city with a historic reputation for adventure. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL COMMUNICATION WILL BE ELECTRONIC, PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT REGULARLY. If you have any issues with applying online and need additional support including reasonable adjustments with the application process please contact the recruitment team on 01752 432100. We recognise that work life balance is important for our colleagues and so we invite requests from applicants around less than full time/flexible working for our advertised roles. Please contact the recruiting manager to discuss this prior to your application submission. We commit to giving this full consideration in each case. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles, as diversity strengthens our teams. It is sometimes necessary to close vacancies before the closing date. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been shortlisted.
All successful candidates must exhibit personal characteristics of the highest standard. These include honesty, reliability, enthusiasm, initiative, resilience, conscientiousness, and an insight into their own abilities.
Education, qualifications & special training
- MB ChB or equivalent
- Full registration with the GMC
- Successfully completed Internal Medicine Training stage 1 or can demonstrate equivalence
- Diploma of Geriatric Medicine/SCE in Geriatric medicine
- Specialty Certificate in Geriatric Medicine
Particular skills, knowledge and experience
- Ability to work independently with remote consultant supervision
- Ability to undertake Comprehensive Geriatric assessment
- Ability to manage patients at End of Life
- Ability to manage patients with dementia, delirium and challenging behaviour
- Good time management and understanding of patient flow within Urgent Care setting
- At least 4 months of clinical experience in Geriatric Medicine
- Commitment to continuing education for whole multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrate evidence of wide based medical knowledge
- Attended appropriate courses/meetings
- Broad experience of Geriatric Medicine including subspecialty areas
- Education training or qualification
Research & clinical audit & quality improvement
- Ability to conduct clinical audit
- Awareness of the requirements of clinical governance, with reference to the needs of the specialty
- Enthusiasm to continue with quality improvement and clinical audit, and support research where required
- Research in a specialty interest or trauma
- Presentations at local/ regional/national/ international meetings
- Relevant audit projects
- Presentations or publications in peer reviewed journals
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of research methodology
Communication & interpersonal skills
- Well presented CV
- Ability to lead a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to delegate appropriately
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with patients and staff, both orally and in writing
- Information technology skills
- Leadership training or qualifications
- Willingness to participate in management process
- Honest and reliable can adopt a self-critical approach
- Flexible and resilient character
- Management training
- Previous experience in change management and quality improvement
- Wider experience of NHS and regulatory systems
- Ability and willingness to work hours of the job, shifts, with any reasonable adjustment to take account of any local requirement or disability