We are keen to appoint a Specialty Doctor to join our team at Hellesdon Hospital. You will be one of 5 Specialty Doctors supporting each of our 5 wards. The advertised post is for Waveney Ward, which is a mixed gender acute ward.
We welcome applications from highly motivated, enthusiastic doctors who would welcome the opportunity to work in this beautiful part of the world. The Trust encourages leadership roles for senior clinicians as part of the core job and in additional roles, where available, in medical education, management, research and teaching.
The roles will provide clinical care to Waveney Ward based at Hellesdon Hospital covering central Norfolk. This role will provide you with the opportunity to play a key role in service design and redevelopment. Not only are we striving to continually improve our model of care but we have been successful in securing the funding to build a new inpatient unit on site. With the support of the architects we are challenging ourselves to think differently about how we deliver services and would very much welcome the input of the new post holder into this process.
The post holder must be registered with the GMC with a license to practice. Approval under Section of the Mental Health Act is desirable. Applications from those wishing to work flexibly or those wishing to develop academic or special interest sessions are welcomed.
Main duties of the job
- Assessment and diagnosis of patients within the service
- Management of moderate to severe complex mental illnesses including personality disorder and dual diagnosis
- Support and promote the physical health and well-being of the service user group
- Use of Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation where clinically appropriate.
- Psychiatric review of ward patients
- Psychiatric involvement in CPA reviews and report preparation
- Use rating tools and/or outcome measures that it has been agreed the team will use
- Writing reports (e.g. For Hospital managers or Tribunals) on patients the post holder has seen and attendance at Professional and other multi-agency meetings as appropriate
- Clinical audit
- The opportunity to develop teaching skills if the candidate shows an aptitude and interest in teaching
- Cross cover for colleagues within the service on the days the post holder is at work may be required
- To provide consultancy, advice, support and intervention to the team and wider professionals
- The area of specific responsibility to be determined in conjunction with the other medical team
- To provide specialist assessment in complex cases and provide management strategies
- Working within the team to manage risk for those patients with complex disorders and risky behaviours
- Multi-disciplinary team working and liaising with other secondary care services and external stakeholders as required
- To work closely with the care coordinator or key worker within the team and other relevant teams
Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust provides child and adult mental health services, learning disability, wellbeing and eating disorder services across Norfolk and Suffolk.
Why work with us?
- Relocation allowance / removal benefit
- Protected time of 2.5 SPA per week (pro rata)
- Friendly Colleagues
- Encouragement and support for areas of special interest
- Subsidised gyms and free physio service
- We have a strong education reputation and close ties with both The University of Cambridge and The University of East Anglia
- Well established county wide teaching program
- Access and encouragement to partake in research and a well-established research network within the Trust
- Support for Quality Improvement, Audit and Service development
- Study leave budget of 600 annually.
- Forward thinking, clinically lead and innovative trust
- Flexibility can be considered for a degree of remote working
For further information surrounding the job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the attached JD.
- Entry on the GMC Register
- 3 years as a doctor post registration
- 2 years in Psychiatry at SHO/ST level or more senior
- 6 months in relevant specialism
- A clear understanding of Clinical Governance
- Demonstrate a commitment to open review of practice
- Effective team working
- Leadership qualities
- Driving Licence/Able to travel independently
- Teaching and Presentation Skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.