Applications are invited for a consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery who are fellowship trained in shoulder surgery. The post arises to cover the substantial workload in trauma and the expansion in shoulder surgery elective workload at NNUH with the building of a new ring-fenced elective orthopaedic facility (NANOC). This appointee will be in addition to the three existing shoulder surgeons.
A candidate who is unable for personal reasons to undertake the duties of a whole-time post will receive equal consideration. If such a candidate is appointed the job content will be modified as appropriate in consultation with consultant colleagues and local management.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion. Additionally, people with disabilities will be offered an interview providing they meet the minimum criteria for the post. The Trust operates job share and flexible working.Main duties of the job
The appointee will be expected to carry out the whole spectrum of arthroscopic and open shoulder surgery. Experience of revision shoulder replacement surgery, including bone grafting and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair would be advantageous. The appointee will work closely with existing specialist shoulder physiotherapists.
The NNUH is one of the busiest acute hospitals in the country. Two dedicated trauma theatres run 5 days a week, with one trauma theatre at weekends. The successful candidate will be expected to join the on-call rota at an intensity of 1 in 18. The on call is run on a 6-weekly system with consultants in 3s who drop all elective commitments for that week to concentrate on trauma. The successful candidate will need to be competent in primary management of all areas of acute trauma, although support in specialist areas such as paediatrics & spines is provided and referral of complex cases to colleagues with specialist interests is standard. NNUH is expected to become a Major Trauma Centre over the next 3-5 years & the successful candidate will be required to participate fully in the mechanisms & systems of an MTC. The new consultant should expect to receive referrals for complex shoulder problems. These cases will be accommodated in their elective / additional trauma lists.About us
Join us at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and be part of a workforce of over 10,000 staff!
The NNUH is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, providing first-class acute care for around one million people, living in Norfolk and surrounding areas. We are a teaching and research hospital, at the forefront of innovation, home to state-of-the-art facilities, such as the Quadram Institute. We are pleased to work closely with the University of East Anglia, providing teaching opportunities for our staff and placement opportunities for their students. We attract some of the best and leading professionals from across the country and are proud that our workforce represents 94 countries from across the world.
We are a friendly, collaborative hospital, working with local services and home to N& N Hospitals Charity
We can offer you the full range of NHS benefits/discounts and in addition:
Job description Job responsibilities
- Flexible working hours
- Fast Track Staff Physiotherapy Service
- Multi Faith prayer room
- Discounted gym memberships
- Excellent pension scheme and annual leave entitlement
- Wagestream - access up to 40% of your pay as you earn it
- Free Park & Ride service direct to NNUH site
- Free 24-hours confidential counselling support
- On-site Nursery
- On-site cafes offering staff discounts
- Support in career development
- Flexible staff bank
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars, Cycle to Work scheme and home electronics
Please see the attached Job Description for the full details of the post and the person specification.
Full GMC with licence to practise required on application.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- FRCS (Tr & Orth) or equivalent.
- Accreditation in Orthopaedics and on GMC specialist register at or within 3 months of appointment
- Fellowship training in Shoulder Surgery with considerable operative experience.
- Current ATLS provider certification
- Compliant with Trust Child Safeguarding training requirements (within one month of taking up post)
- License to Practice
- Experience in revision shoulder replacement surgery and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.
- Experience in all aspects of Elbow surgery, including Total Elbow replacement
- Fellowship level training in Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist and Hand Trauma.
- Evidence supporting considerable experience in all aspects of general trauma surgery and shoulder surgery (logbook).
- Prepared to work in shared office space.
- Capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Enthusiasm for Teaching
- Team Worker
- Formal management training
- Considerable experience in General Orthopaedic trauma.
- Completion of research projects
- Post CCT trauma experience
- Presentation(s) at National/International meetings
- Publication(s) in peer reviewed journals
- Enthusiastic attitude to training and a willingness to engage with ICSP, OCAP.
- Training the Trainers / Teaching the Teachers Course. Clinical supervisors' course
- Evidence of participation in deanery interview processes
- Keen interest in teaching at all levels of trainees both locally and nationally including FRCS (Orth) courses
Audit / Governance Essential
- Formal Teaching / Training Qualifications
- Formal Teaching Post
- Evidence supporting significant participation in Clinical Audit including evidence of successful completion of the audit loop
- Audit publications / presentations
- Commitment to maintaining and further developing the existing shoulder unit.
Communications and Language Skills Essential
- Flexible outlook on working hours.
- Must live within a 15-mile radius of the base Trust or 30 minutes travelling time.
- Full Driving License willingness to travel as part of post
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues and support staff.
- Good knowledge of, and ability to use, spoken and written English
- Ability to present effectively to an audience, using a variety of methods, and to respond to questions and queries
- Good presentation skills.
Employer details Employer name
- Flexible outlook on working practices.
- Full registration with GMC with license to practice.
Norfolk and Norwich University HospitalAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.