Required to fill this new post within the Plastic Surgery Department at the Leeds General Infirmary.
The successful applicant should possess the FRCS (Plast) (or equivalent) and should be included on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT at the time of interview, if currently within a training programme within the UK. In accordance with the consultant appointment regulations, all other categories of doctors must be on the Specialist Register.
Applicants should have established skills in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and its related specialties. A strong commitment to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and a research interest is desirable.
If shortlisted, you will be required to give a 10-minute presentation on:
Methods to Improve Efficiency in a Microsurgical Breast unit
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD VIA MS TEAMS: Tuesday 30 January 2024Main duties of the job
You would need to be able to independently undertake microsurgical Breast reconstruction, alongside, and working closely with, the Breast MDT. You will also be expected to support the Plastic Surgery Service in Leeds by undertaking a range of reconstructive and plastic surgery.
The Unit at Leeds undertakes all aspects of Breast reconstructive surgery, with a strong reputation in microsurgery. The surgeons work closely with allied specialties, with joint clinic and theatre activity, to provide a highly regarded service.About us
Leeds Teaching Hospitals is one the largest teaching hospital trusts in Europe, with access to leading clinical expertise and medical technology. We care for people from all over the country as well as the 780,000 residents of Leeds itself. The Trust has a budget of £1.1 billion. Our 20,000 staff ensure that every year we see and treat over 1,500,000 people in our 2,000 beds or out-patient settings, comprising 100,000 day cases, 125,000 in-patients, 260,000 A& E visits and 1,050,000 out-patient appointments. We operate from 7 hospitals on 5 sites all linked by the same vision, philosophy and culture to be the best for specialist and integrated care.
Our vision is based on The Leeds Way, which is a clear statement of who we are and what we believe, founded on values of working that were put forward by our own staff. Our values are to be:
We believe that by being true to these values, we will consistently achieve and continuously improve our results in relation to our goals, which are to be:
1. The best for patient safety, quality and experience
2. The best place to work
3. A centre of excellence for specialist services, education, research and innovation
4. Hospitals that offer seamless, integrated care
5. Financially sustainable Job description Job responsibilities
In relation to this post, we are looking for a suitable colleague to join us as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon with an interest in Breast Reconstructive Surgery. The successful candidate would also be expected to support the Plastic Surgery Service in Leeds by undertaking a wide range of reconstructive and plastic surgery.2. OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
To independently undertake Microvascular Breast Reconstructive Surgery
To provide a General Plastic Surgery service to the people of Leeds.
To enable the Speciality to meet the inpatient and outpatient access targets, local performance standards and quality standards, as necessary by working co-operatively.
Opportunity to develop further interests within the Plastic Surgery department service, including research.Person Specification Management & Interpersonal Skills Essential
- Understanding of current issues in the NHS.
- *Well organised and skilled in good time management.
- *Effective interpersonal skills.
- *Demonstrate ability to relate to and work within a team.
- Attendance at recognised management course.
Other Requirements Essential
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of clinical experience and competence in Breast Reconstruction and Plastic Surgery.
- Specifically, must demonstrate higher training in microvascular breast reconstruction.
- Evidence of continuous career progression consistent with personal circumstances.
- *Hold full GMC Registration with a license to practice.
- *Entry on the GMC Specialist Register via:
- -CCT (proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview) CESR (or) international applicants should comply with the GMC specialty registration process: https://www.gmc-uk.org/news/news-archive/brexitinformation-for-doctors
- Full GMC Registration - YOUR NUMBER MUST BE STATED IN YOUR APPLICATION FORM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE ROLE.
- Basic medical qualification
- FRCS (Plast)
- Eligible for full registration with the GMC at time of appointment and hold a current licence to practice.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
Training, Research, Teaching & Audit Essential
- Relevant higher degree.
- ATLS Provider.
- Should have completed a recognised training programme in Plastic Surgery.
- Evidence of the ability to carry out medical research.
- Experience in training undergraduate medical students and postgraduate doctors.
- Experience of participation in regular clinical audit.
Employer details Employer name
- Previous experience of supervising research by junior staff.
- Previous attendance on Appraisal Techniques and Small Group Teaching Workshops.
Leeds Teaching HospitalsAddress
Leeds General Infirmary
Great George Street
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.