Joint Consultant role in Respiratory Medicine at Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospital and Senior Lecturer at Edge Hill University X2 Posts Post 1: Specialist interest in Interstitial Lung Disease Post 2: Special interest in Lung Cancer
Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, in partnership with Edge Hill University (EHU), are looking to appoint a committed and enthusiastic Consultants in Respiratory Medicine with an interest in Interstitial Lung Diseases or Lung Cancer, and experience of undergraduate medical teaching and training to the post of clinical academic.
This will be a joint appointment between Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and the Faculty of Health, Social Care and Medicine at Edge Hill University. You will be appointed jointly under an employment contract with the Trust and an Honorary contract with the University (the Follet principles will apply).
It is anticipated that the equivalent of up to 2 programmed activities (PAs) will be allocated to the role of Senior Lecturer in the integrated job plan and that these academic responsibilities will normally be delivered on-site at EHU. These is a newly created role and will provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to make a contribution to the development and implementation of the MBChB programme at Edge Hill University at an important time in its development.Main duties of the job About the Clinical Academic Post
This is a new Consultant position within Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a well-established service and join a team of Consultants in the relevant medical specialty, working together to provide a comprehensive clinical service to the population of the Wigan borough.
This will be a joint appointment between Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Edge Hill University. Therefore, you will also have an opportunity to perform the duties and responsibilities of a Senior Lecturer at Edge Hill University where you will contribute to teaching, learning and assessment of undergraduate medical students and support the development of professional skills, values, and behaviours.
You will also be expected to participate in the training of medical and nursing staff within the service as well as students and those attached for training from other related services.About us
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is a medium sized acute and community foundation trust in the North West of England, within the Greater Manchester footprint. We serve a local population of 326,000 and we provide specialist services to a much wider regional, national and international catchment area. We provide our acute clinical services from our five main sites: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wrightington Hospital, Leigh Infirmary, Thomas Linacre Centre and Boston House. Our community services are provided from a range of locations across the borough.
The successful candidate will join the existing team of 5 Respiratory consultants who provide Respiratory services at WWL including thoracic medicine, sleep service, asthma service, COPD unit, Lung Cancer services and community breathlessness clinic. Job description Job responsibilities
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to build a new patient workload and will be a key member of the consultant team in a very busy Respiratory Medicine department, undertaking the following:
- Ward rounds The post holder will be responsible for up to 15 patients.
- Outpatient Clinics, including one general respiratory clinic and two specialist clinics. Clinic templates are 4 new and 8 follow-up patients. Colleagues considering additional to do other sub speciality interest would also be expected to do a combination of specialist and general respiratory clinics.
- Lung cancer services: We have a busy lung cancer service managed by 2 Respiratory physicians and supported by specialist nurses. We have weekly EBUS / Bronchoscopy lists, lung MDT and Sector MDT. We also have a dedicated weekly outpatient pleural clinic supported by a specialist pleural nurse. We are in the process of planning to expand this to include IPC insertion.
- The post holder is expected to support the existing lung cancer services and work with team of 2 lung cancer clinicians and extended specialist nursing team.
- Other sub speciality interests: There are opportunities to work with existing ILD / airways/ INTEGRATED Respiratory care team as part of developing other specialist interests. This could be further discussed if interested.
- There is a high dependency Respiratory care unit on one of the Respiratory wards cohorting all NIV / HFNO with appropriate nurse staffing support. We would expect the post holder to provide a supportive role in delivery of care for the unit.
- There is currently no on call Respiratory service. However, during the COVID pandemic the Respiratory physicians have been providing a weekend ward round service covering the CPAP unit. There is a need to develop Respiratory on call service in near future which the department is working towards. Currently weekend respiratory ward rounds 1:6 are provided by existing consultants. There is an expectation to see respiratory inpatients as well as in-reach to medical admissions unit for review of respiratory patients requiring specialist input over weekends. The consultants also provide 1:18 General medicine overnight on call cover. There is no expectation to do general medical post take rounds.
- The department is extremely well supported by trainees. The department has 3 registrars one of which is an international training fellow affiliated to Edge Hill University. There are 2 FY1, 2 post foundation trust grade doctors, 2 IMT and 1 GPST trainee supporting the consultants.
- There are excellent opportunities to undertake Clinical Research activities if the post-holder wishes to do so. One of the existing consultants is the NIHR CRN Respiratory research lead. The department routinely partakes in both academic and commercial research and would be desirable for the new appointee to develop research interests and contribute to existing research activity.
- The post holder will be expected to fulfil an accepted clinical role of a Consultant in a specialty and play an active role in the day-to-day management of the service as well as that of the directorate.
- The post holder will be responsible for approximately 14 beds. The post will share junior staff with the rest of the respiratory team (approximately twenty-eight beds are ascribed to the respiratory team). Post holder will have a weekly bronchoscopy / EBUS list.
- Medical patients who are outlied (outliers) to surgical wards are cared for by the physician who has been allocated the management of outliers on that specific ward. Currently we have employed two WTE physicians to look after outliers with no involvement required from the post holder.
- In addition to accepting the normal Consultant responsibilities for the treatment and welfare of patients under the care of the service, the Consultant will be expected to develop and maintain the necessary excellent liaison and working relationships with all other departments and agencies that are associated with the service both within and outside the Trust.
- The Consultant will be expected to play an active role in:
- The continuing development of all aspects of clinical work of the department and the quality of the service and methods of auditing these.
- Planning matters that involve the Directorate.
- In addition to general clinical duties, the applicant will be encouraged to develop special interests within respiratory medicine. A special interest in developing services for interstitial lung disease would be particularly encouraged. The respiratory service is committed to training junior medical staff and also has two SPRs for respiratory medicine.
- The successful candidate will work as part of a team with the existing Consultants in Respiratory Medicine to deliver the high quality services required for Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust.
- The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate effective clinical leadership to departmental staff and medical students and to effectively participate in departmental meetings.
- The appointee is expected to be committed to the improvement of quality of clinical care in the Directorate and to participate in incident reporting, risk management and directorate clinical governance meetings. There are bimonthly specialty governance meetings.
- MB BS, MB ChB or equivalent.
- A HE Teaching Qualification and/or membership of the Advance HE (or Academy of Medical Educators) or commitment of achieve one within two years of appointmentr equivalent) training.
- Full current GMC registration with a licence to practice
- CCT/Specialist Registration in Respiratory and General Medicine or be eligible for registration within six months of interview.
- Doctoral level qualification in a relevant academic discipline
- Completion or nearing completion of higher speciality training or equivalent
- Experience in Respiratory Medicine.
- Excellent advanced communication skills.
- Experience of participation in and leading clinical audit
- Relevant knowledge of Higher Education curricula or other evidence of the ability to be or become an effective, research-informed teacher and assessor across the range of taught levels appropriate to the post with the ability to contribute to significant elements of academic programmes within the area of expertise
- Evidence of PG or UG medical education leadership
- Ability to engage in academic and professional networking through active membership of associations, societies and professional bodies, e.g., to promote student employability
- Demonstrate ability to influence, advise, guide and mentor others and confidently challenge thinking and foster debate, and encourage the development of intellectual reasoning and rigour
- Ability to critically reflect on teaching design and delivery and evidence of a previous commitment to teaching, supervising and / or assessing medical students in their application
Employer details Employer name
- Clinical training and experience in Interstitial lung disease
Wrightington Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.