Duties will be based at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital and consist of the following:
- General Paediatric Duties (8.5 PAs)
- SPA allowance 1.5 PAs (optional 0.5 SPA for education supervision)
Main duties of the job
The appointee will contribute to hot week and second-on weeks probably doing part weeks to allow for some named doctor activity. The exact format of this will be agreed with the appointee at commencement of the post.
General paediatric duties will include:
- 5 hot weeks per year (with weekend on-call)
- 5 Second on weeks per year (see below)
- 2.5 general paediatric clinic a week: new and follow-up
- 27 resident evening shifts per year 5-10pm Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs.
Hot week consultant: 08:00 - 18:00 Monday to Friday
08:00 - 14:00 Saturday, Sunday
Non-resident on call over weekend
Second on consultant: 08:00 - 16:30 Monday to Friday
08:00 - 14:00 Saturday and Sunday (2 Weekends per year)
MFT is England's largest NHS Trust with a turnover of 2.5bn & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We're creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you'll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We've also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we've launched in September 2022.
We're proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What's more, we're excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation together.
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience you'll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that you're even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, you'll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information you'll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination.
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Were looking forward to hearing from you!
Qualifications and Training
- MBChB or equivalent
- Postgraduate qualification - MRCPCH or equivalent
- Completion of general professional training (paediatric medicine)
- Completion of higher specialist training in paediatric medicine. Must be on the specialist register or be within 6 months of obtaining CCT or equivalent at the time of interview.
- Have considerable experience in assessing and examining children and young people where there are safeguarding concerns
- MD, PhD or other higher degree
Teaching and Audit
- Experience of teaching medical students
- Experience of teaching junior medical staff
Academic Achievements and Research
- Publications in peer reviewed journals or demonstrable commitment to developing research in the Trust
- Research interests relating to paediatrics
Research interests relating to paediatrics
- Organisational skills
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work harmoniously in multidisciplinary team
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.