We are looking to appoint an StR Higher Doctor in Respiratory Medicine at University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust to undertake a 12 month FTC. This post holder will work within the Respiratory Medicine team to provide comprehensive inpatient management for our Respiratory wards. The post will be ideally suited to doctor with an interest in Respiratory Medicine or General Medicine who has completed IMT and MRCP.
Main duties of the job
The Respiratory Medicine team are looking for an individual to join the team and work closely with the clinical team across Hartor, Honeyford and Hexworthy ward, consultant ward rounds conducted daily.
There are pleural procedure lists, led by the interventional team with opportunity for learning thoracentesis and chest drain insertion. Regular clinic sessions run, with opportunities to join general respiratory clinics, cancer clinics, asthma, CF, bronchiectasis and pulmonary hypertension.
Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust is a rapidly developing university teaching hospital serving a large population in the South West. Located between the sea and Dartmoor, the opportunity to combine career excellence whilst easily pursuing outdoor activities, ensures a work-life balance and an amazing quality of life. Local airports and train lines provide easy transport links to the rest of the UK and Europe.
The post holder will work alongside the Respiratory Clinical team to support with daily ward rounds and lead on rounds when the consultant is not in attendance. Ensuring the the team are actioning daily jobs and ongoing care of patients on the respiratory wards. There will be an opportunity to attend and carry out clinics within the chest clinic with exposure to general respiratory and a variety of subspecialty clinics. Time to attend and carry out bronchoscopy / EBUS lists within the planned investigation unit with the lead consultant.
- MB BS or equivalent
- GMC full registration and licence to practice
- Completed IMT
- Completed Foundation years 1 and 2 competencies
- Experience of basic life support and resuscitation skills
- Knowledge or experience working in the NHS for 6 months or longer
- Broad Medical ward experience
- Experience in Respiratory Medicine
- Competent in history taking and examination skills
- Organisational and communication skills
- Recognise when to seek timely assistance from senior colleagues
- Good oral and written presentation skills
- Accepts responsibility and participation in the management of emergencies
- Computer literacy
- Able to function successfully under pressure
- Willingness to learn
- Able to establish good working relationships with other members of the multidisciplinary team
- Provide leadership and role modelling to Foundation Programme doctors and medical students
- Sets realistic goals and deadlines
- Good organisational skills and time management
- Contributes to departmental training / clinical governance sessions
- Able to organise own learning
- To gain experience supportive of a training number in CMT of higher medical training