The Special Care and Community Dental Service is seeking to recruit a compassionate and motivated individual working four days per week to join our existing team of highly skilled clinicians and support staff to provide comprehensive dental care to our patients in Allerdale and Copeland. The candidate should have a passion for child and adult dental health and be keen to make a difference to the vulnerable patients seen by our service. Being able to communicate effectively with both patients and staff is essential as you will be responsible for looking after some of the most vulnerable people in society.
Main duties of the job
The post is full time or part time with up to 37.5 hours a week, and is based largely at Cleator Moor Dental Clinic. This is a new multi-surgery site with bariatric facilities and digital radiography.
This role would suit dentists who wish to contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the oral health of the local population through direct clinical contact and innovative working with our local health and social care partners and patients. The ideal candidate will be experienced at the provision of both inhalation and intravenous sedation to dental patients.
Post holders will be expected to travel to other clinic locations in Allerdale and Copeland. Provision of care under general anaesthesia will be a key element of the job and this is provided at the new build West Cumberland Hospital.
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
- BDS or equivalent
- Registration with GDC
- NHSE Performer List number
- Not to be subject to open or on-going Performer Investigation
- Postgraduate qualification in Special Care Dentistry
- Postgraduate qualification in Paediatric Dentistry
- Postgraduate qualification in Sedation
- Five years post-graduate clinical activity
- Experience of and an understanding of the challenges presented by special care patients
- Experience of clinical audit
- Experience dealing with confidential and sensitive information
- Experience of working in collaboration with other health care professionals
- Competency in the treatment of patients using the techniques of conscious sedation
- Experience of treating patients under General Anaesthesia
- Experience in the delivery of domiciliary dental care
- Experience of mentoring or work as a Clinical Supervisor/Educational Supervisor
- Experience and competence in Special Care Dentistry
- Understanding of basic physiology and medical conditions that may cause complications in the delivery of dentistry.
- Current commissioning guidelines in sedation, special care and paediatric dentistry
- Basic Life Support and the skills to lead a medical emergency
- Structure of local NHS services
- Legislative framework governing the delivery of oral health care in England
- Sound Knowledge of clinical and restorative dentistry
- Immediate Life Support/ Paediatric Immediate Life Support
- Knowledge of alternative methods of and adjuncts to communication
- Knowledge of regulators of dental care
- Computer literacy and the ability to use office-type software packages, e.g. Word and Excel. Organisational skills.
- Organisational and leadership skills: ability to communicate with, support and motivate team
- Able to present to a small group.
- Excellent inter-personal and clinical skills to assist in the management of highly anxious patients
- Able to prioritise own work and be flexible as required
- Knowledge of SOEL Health dental software system.
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Understanding and empathy towards vulnerable groups
- High standard of professional ethics and integrity
- Be able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Current driving licence
- comply with NHS policy on smoking
- Able to travel between sites in Cumbria
- Willing to adapt to challenging circumstances and priorities
- Flexible approach to working patterns / locations
- Act in a way that supports equality and value diversity