The Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust manages adult community Healthcare services across Guildford and Waverley and is actively seeking Specialty Doctors to join our expanding Urgent Community Response and Hospital at Home teams.
We are seeking enthusiastic colleagues keen to develop their skills in managing frailty syndromes and Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment providing urgent crisis intervention to older people in their own homes, including Hospital level acute interventions.
We have a successful internal CESR programme and welcome applicants wishing to be supported in their training towards becoming a substantive Consultant.
This is an exciting time to join this team, as we work to implement our Ageing Well Strategy across the Guilford and Waverley healthcare system. This has supported us in developing a Frailty Same Day Emergency Care facility based in the Acute Hospital, direct conveyance to this unit by working in partnership with SECAmb, a Geriatrician of the Day model providing acute clinical triage and a Hospital at Home service, offering Hospital level care to older people with frailty in their own homes. Opportunities exist to rotate through these pathways to gain broad experience across the integrated pathway. We also have a successful Frailty Academy and all Specialty Doctors are expected wot take part in its activities, to embed education and training across the local healthcare system.
Main duties of the job
- Have a patient-facing clinical role, delivering direct patient care as part of a 2 hour crisis response and H@H service, delivering urgent Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment.
- To manage a caseload of older people in crisis in the community with oversight from the Consultants and GPSi.
- To participate in MDT working to support these patients, being flexible and responsive to other team members.
- Liaise with broader partners in the patient's care, including their usual GP, Social Care, Community nursing and mental health services.
- To actively participate and champion education and training in older peoples care and frailty.
- Ensure older people with frailty are cared for in a proactive integrated end-to-end pathway where patients are actively managed through the most appropriate combination of services.
- To work in the Same Day Emergency Care facility delivering urgent CGA and managing patients directly conveyed by Ambulances to our unit.
- To actively pull patients in to the unit from the emergency department and the emergency floor.
- To support the Geriatrician of the Day in managing crisis calls from the community.
Please refer to full job description attached for further details.
Royal Surrey is a compassionate and collaborative acute and community Trust. Recognising that our 5000 colleagues are our greatest strength, we offer a comprehensive health and wellbeing program along with a commitment to developing and advancing your career. Our diverse and welcoming Royal Surrey family will ensure you that you feel valued from your initial interview through your entire tenure.
We are clinically led and provide joined up care by bridging the gap between hospital and community services alongside regional specialist cancer care. Our main acute hospital site is in Guildford with community hospital sites at Milford, Haslemere and Cranleigh. We provide adult community health services in homes across Guildford and Waverley.
We have received an overall Good rating from the CQC with Medical care (including older peoples care), End of Life Care and Maternity services being deemed Outstanding by the CQC.
Royal Surrey has a strong reputation and history to build on. We are proud of our achievements and we are investing in our colleagues through our commitment to supporting professional development as well as investing more than 45 million in our physical environment and new equipment in the next few years. There has never been a better time to join us.
Although it isn't the Trusts normal practice, adverts may close early, so you are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible.
A video about the Royal Surrey - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsiGn9joTQ
These posts are Specialty Doctor roles in Geriatric Medicine and Acute Frailty rotating through to work as part of an integrated crisis team based at the Milford Community Hospital site and the acute frailty team based in the Acute Trust. The post holders will work with Consultant Geriatricians, a GPSi in Older Peoples care, nurses, advanced care practitioners, specialist nursing teams, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, mental health practitioners, adult social care and other key system stakeholders to deliver joined up care.
There are 2 posts, working as part of a Specialty Doctor tier, including 1:9 weekend shifts in Acute Frailty.
There are exciting opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in managing older people with frailty, the key frailty syndromes, CGA, MDT working and medical leadership. In addition, Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust is committed to embedding quality improvement (QI) into all services.
- MBBS or equivalent
- Full GMC Registration with license to practice
- Diploma in Geriatric Medicine
- MRCP (UK)
Knowledge and Experience
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Minimum of 4 years' post-graduate experience in Geriatric Medicine or equivalent specialty