- To contribute to the delivery of clinical service within the department of Breast Surgery at Newham University Hospital and to the wider Barts Health NHS Trust.
- To undertake such administrative, managerial and other duties as are reasonably to be expected of a senior member of clinical staff.
This Speciality Doctor post will hold sessions at Newham University Hospital and St Bartholomew's Hospital. The role will be integral in the delivery of the Breast Surgery strategic plan across the Trust, which once implemented, would enable this roles job plan to change towards delivery of the strategy with review of the job plan.
The operating sessions will be split at St Bartholomew's Hospital and Nuffield Hospitals. The St Bartholomew's sessions will be focused on delivering patients requiring more complex surgery and an inpatient stay.
Main duties of the job
The post-holder is required to have and maintain full registration with the General Medical Council. Medical Staff are advised to continue membership of one of the medical defence organisations.
- To share the running of the Barts Health General Surgery Service at NUH including in-patient and out-patient practice
- To undertake weekly outpatient clinics, operating sessions and pre/post-operative ward rounds.
- To participate fully as a member of the multi-disciplinary team in the Breast surgical specialty
- To deputise for and provide cover for leave for the others consultants as appropriate
- To assist in the development and evaluation of new procedures and keep appropriate records of data obtained, in accordance with the requirements of the ethics committee and the data protection act.
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers. The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients. Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our We Care values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together. We strive to live by our We Care values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment where staff treat one another with dignity and respect. We aim to create an equitable working environment where every individual can fulfil their potential.
- Speciality Doctors will have a continuing responsibility for the care of patients in their charge and for the proper functioning of their departments.
- Speciality Doctors will undertake administrative duties associated with the care of their patients and the running of their clinics or department. All Speciality Doctors are expected to assume responsibility both singly and corporately for the management of the Junior Medical Staff. In particular, they are expected to be responsible for approving and monitoring junior staff rotas and junior staff locum arrangements, where appropriate.
- The successful applicant will be expected to participate fully in the medical audit arrangements in the District.
- Speciality Doctors are also expected to concern themselves with the professional development of their trainees.
Speciality Doctors have a responsibility to contribute to the teaching and assessment of undergraduates and of junior doctors
- MB BS, or equivalent
- FRCS or equivalent
- Higher degree e.g. MS/MD/PhD
- Evidence of subspecialty knowledge of Breast Surgery.
- Widespread broad based knowledge of all aspects of Breast, General Surgery
- Higher Specialist Training in Breast, General Surgery. Evidence of sub-specialist training and competency in Oncoplastic Surgery.
- Experience in training undergraduates and postgraduates
- Evidence of formal educational training qualification
- Able to provide evidence of clinical audit and demonstrate understanding of impact and challenges this brings
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and awareness of current and future NHS challenges and strategy
- Ability to support team members in business planning via collaboration and discussion
- Evidence of innovative approaches to healthcare
- Experience of audit management