This is an opportunity to join the well-established, progressive department of Ophthalmology at HHFT. The successful applicant will join a highly motivated, dynamic team, responsible for the management and treatment of Ophthalmology patients.
The successful candidate will have an interest in Glaucoma and will work in partnership with a forward looking and enthusiastic Ophthalmology department. At one site alone the Ophthalmology department saw over 25,000 outpatient attendances in 2021/22 and nearly 5,000 inpatient and day case operations. Each of our existing consultants has a strong general Ophthalmology background with sub-specialty interests in medical retina, glaucoma, uveitis, anterior segment, oculoplastic, and paediatric ophthalmology, and strabismus.
Main duties of the job
- A consultant with a subspecialist interest in glaucoma
- An enthusiastic and friendly clinician
- Experience in general ophthalmology
- An individual who shares our passion for improving the quality of Ophthalmology services
- Willingness to work in a multidisciplinary team and develop our service and juniors
Our service configuration includes a dedicated Eye Day Case Unit (EDCU) at Basingstoke Hospital, a dedicated Ophthalmic Imaging Technician, as well as community eye services that support glaucoma referral refinement and Minor Eye Conditions (MECs) being dealt with closer to home. We also have a specialised theatre at Andover War Memorial Hospital, as well as operating on cases in our day surgery units on both main hospital sites. Just one of our departments saw over 25,000 outpatient attendances in 2018/19 and nearly 5,000 inpatient and day-case operations. Each of our existing consultants has a strong general Ophthalmology background with sub-specialty interests in medical retina, glaucoma, uveitis, anterior segment, oculoplastic, and paediatric ophthalmology and strabismus.
For further information about this role please see Job Description document attached.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Training and qualifications
- FRCOphth or equivalent
- Full registration with the GMC
- On GMC Specialist register or within six months of CCT at time of interview
- Fellowship level training in complimentary subspecialist interest
Experience & Knowledge
- Experience in cataract surgery
- Experience in all aspects of Ophthalmology
- Training and experience in subspecialty area
- Completed a full training program
- Experience of and participation in clinical audit
- Experience of risk management
Skills & Ability
- Good written and verbal communication skills and able to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues and all levels of staff
- Teaching/presentation skills
- Good IT skills
- Management skills or qualification
- Educational Qualification