Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust are looking to recruit 3 enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as Generalist Obstetrician & Gynaecologists with resident on call. There are 3 positions available, please refer to each specific Job Plan on the Job Description.
Applicants must hold full GMC registration and on Specialist Register or within six months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training in O& G (CCT) at time of interview and have completed the appropriate RCOG Advance Training Special Skills Modules (ATSM) or equivalent.
CESR candidates must have written GMC confirmation of successful application. An Enhanced DBS Certificate with the checking of Adults' & Childrens' Barred List is required.
Interview will take place on Tuesday, 16th January, 2024Main duties of the job
The successful candidates will join a team of 16 other Consultants within the department currently providing General Obstetrics & Gynaecology services, Fetomaternal Medicine, Urogynaecology, Menstrual disorders, Menopause, Sub fertility, Outpatient hysteroscopy and Gynaecological Oncology.
The unit has achieved NPSLA (CNST) 3 status accreditation. The unit is supported by 7 SAS Doctors, 5 Specialty trainees 3+ and 8 Senior House Officers (STr 1& 2, GPSTrs + 2 F2). The unit delivers approximately 4000 babies a year in a well appointed labour ward with 2 dedicated operating theatres. The Obstetric unit is supported by a level 2 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with a Special Care Baby Unit of 15 cots.
The Trust has excellent management, robust systems and innovative processes.About us
The Secretary of State has approved the partnership between St Helens & Knowsley and Southport & Ormskirk Hospitals.
From 1stJuly we have come together as a single organisation under the name Mersey & West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
The Trust delivers acute hospital care, intermediate care, community, and primary care services to a population of over 600,000 people with a combined workforce of around 9000 dedicated and skilled staff from 17 locations including Whiston, Southport & Formby, St Helens, Ormskirk and Newton hospitals.
The Trust provides regional services for burns, plastic surgery and spinal injuries to more than 4 million people across Mersey and West Lancashire, Cheshire, the Isle of Man and North Wales.
Our Vision is to deliver 5 Star Patient Care:
Our achievements include:
- CAREthat is evidence based, high quality and compassionate
- SAFETY that is of the highest standards
- COMMUNICATION that is open, inclusive and respectful
- SYSTEMS that are efficient, patient centred and reliable
- PATHWAYS that are best practice and embedded, but also respect the individual needs of patients
- Trust rated Outstanding by CQC Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers & Health Service Journal)
- Awarded National Preceptorship Accreditation (2023) for our Nursing & AHP Preceptorship Programme
Please see our Wellbeing & Benefits booklet for more information on our staff benefits. Accessible version available upon request. Job description Job responsibilities For more information regarding the main responsibilities and requirements essential for this role please refer to the supporting documents heading and review the job description and person specification which will outline the duties of the role including a proposed job plan. Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
A £338 million (PFI) investment has re-built and modernised both Whiston and St Helens Hospitals, resulting in modern state of the art health care facilities for the treatment and care of patients. St Helens Hospital was completed in 2008 and Whiston Hospital in 2010. The hospitals include 887 inpatient beds with state-of-the-art CT and MRI facilities existing on both hospital sites. CT and MRI scanners at St Helens have also recently been upgraded including installation of a high field 3 Tesla MRI scanner. The DEXA scanner is also located at St Helens Hospital.
The Trust delivers acute hospital care, intermediate care, community, and primary care services to a population of over 600,000 people with a combined workforce of around 9000 dedicated and skilled staff from 17 locations including Whiston, Southport & Formby, St Helens, Ormskirk, and Newton hospitals.
The Trust provides regional services for burns, plastic surgery, and spinal injuries to more than 4 million people across Mersey and West Lancashire, Cheshire, the Isle of Man and North Wales.
As a Trust, our aim is to provide a high-quality service to all patients. We strive to meet the best standards for professional care whilst being sensitive and responsive to the needs of individual patients. Our valued workforce is recognised for their unique skills and talents with our teams of experts winning national awards on a regular basis. Whiston Hospital
Whiston Hospital a busy teaching hospital which provides a comprehensive range of acute Medical and Surgical Services, Emergency Services, Maternity Services, Paediatrics and Medicine for Older People. The Regional Burns and Plastic Surgery Units are also based on this site. There is a Critical Care Unit consisting of ICU, HDU, CCU and an onsite Cardiac Catheter Laboratory. The stroke consultants deliver 24/7 thrombolysis to eligible patients presenting with acute stroke. There is a 30-bed Stroke Unit which accommodates both acute stroke patients and those with rehabilitation needs. St Helens Hospital
St Helens Hospital is an Ambulatory Care Centre providing Intermediate Care and Day Surgery. Rheumatology, Dermatology and Diabetes services are based on this site and within easy reach of other acute specialties at Whiston Hospital. Southport Hospital
Southport Hospital is a General Hospital that includes adults accident and emergency services, intensive care, and a range of medical and surgical specialities. There is also an outpatients service. The North West Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales, and the Isle of Man.
The hospital, which replaced the Southport General Infirmary and the Southport Promenade Hospital, opened in September 1988. Ormskirk Hospital
Ormskirk Hospital is a General Hospital and provides womens and childrens services, including accident and emergency services, surgery, and maternity care.
The hospital provides these services for patients living across West Lancashire, Southport, and Formby. Life in Merseyside and West Lancashire
Merseyside, which includes the great city of Liverpool, is within easy reach of North Wales, the Lake District and the Peak District and provides an interesting mix of rural and urban life.
Liverpool is a vibrant, music city which has undergone a renaissance in recent years and has recently been named European City of Culture.
High quality schools are available in and around Merseyside and West Lancashire. The area has many sports facilities including championship golf courses, several sailing clubs and one of the finest windsurfing venues in Britain.
People from Merseyside and West Lancashire are renowned for their friendliness and quick-witted humour and the region sports two of the finest football teams in the Premier League.
The town of St Helens is renowned for its glassworks and rugby. The district has a population of around 340,000 and is of mixed residential, industrial, and rural character. It is situated on the edge of Merseyside, between the open countryside of Cheshire to the south and Lancashire to the north.
Southport is a seaside town and has a population of around 90,000. Southport lies on the Irish Sea Coast and is fringed to the north by the Ribble estuary. Town attractions include Southport Pier, the second longest seaside pleasure pier in the British Isles and Lord Street, an elegant tree-lined shopping street. Southport today is still one of the most popular seaside resorts in the UK and hosts various events including an annual air show on and over the beach, the largest independent flower show in the UK and the British Musical Fireworks Championship.
Ormskirk is an historic Market town surrounded by beautiful countryside, reserves, and wildlife. Ormskirk has quaint village streets, winning restaurants and farm shops and is also home to the award-winning Edgehill University. Distance to Liverpool City Centre:
From Whiston Hospital 13.3 miles
From St Helens Hospital 15 miles
From Southport Hospital 19.9 miles
From Ormskirk Hospital 18.1 miles Distance to Manchester City Centre:
From Whiston Hospital - 26.6 miles
From St Helens Hospital 27.7 miles
From Southport Hospital 42.4 miles
From Ormskirk Hospital 35.4 milesPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
Desirable Knowledge and Experience Essential
- Full GMC registration and on Specialist Register or within six months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training in O & G (CCT) at time of interview CESR candidates must have written GMC confirmation of successful application
- MBChB or equivalent medical qualification
- MRCOG or equivalent specialist
- Evidence of achievement of competencies by time of appointment in line with GMC standards/Good Medical Practice including: oGood clinical care oMaintaining good medical practice oGood relationships and communication with patients oGood working relationships with colleagues oGood teaching and training oProfessional behaviour and probity oDelivery of good acute clinical care
- Demonstrate skills in written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: Appropriate knowledge base and ability to apply sound clinical judgement to problems.
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: Demonstrates the necessary range, depth and breadth of competencies specified in the General Obstetrics & Gynaecology curriculum and applying to this post
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: RCOG ATSM or equivalent and demonstrable experience including that relating to a special interest to complement existing colleagues e.g., Advanced Labour ward practice ATSM plus any of following: High Risk pregnancy ATSM or Obstetric Medicine ATSM or Fetal Medicine ATSM or Urogynaecology & vaginal surgery ATSM or Subfertility & reproductive health ATSM or Benign abdominal surgery: open & laparoscopic ATSM or Acute gynaecology and early pregnancy ATSM or Menopause ATSM or Hysteroscopy ATSM or Colposcopy ATSM or Vulvar disease ATSM or Labour ward lead ATSM.
- Demonstrable experience to manage a Labour Ward independently
- Knowledge and experience to participate on the Consultant on call rota
- Research Skills: Demonstrates ability to undertake robust audit / research within team structure within the last 3 years.
- Teaching: Evidence of appropriate teaching experience within the last 3 years
- Communication Skills: Demonstrates clarity in written/spoken communication & capacity to adapt language as appropriate to the situation.
- Communication Skills: Able to build rapport, listen, persuade & negotiate
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: Capacity to use logical/lateral thinking to solve problems/make decisions
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Capacity to work effectively with others
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Able to work in multi-professional teams
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Able to supervise junior medical staff
- Empathy & Sensitivity: Capacity to take in others' perspectives and treat others with understanding
- Empathy & Sensitivity: Sees patients as people
- Organisation & Planning: Capacity to manage/prioritise time and information effectively
- Organisation & Planning: Capacity to prioritise own workload.
- Organisation & Planning: Basic IT skills
- Vigilance & Situational Awareness: Capacity to monitor developing situations and anticipate issues
- Coping with Pressure: Capacity to operate under pressure. Demonstrates initiative & resilience to cope with changing circumstances
- Special interest accreditation in e.g. Medical education ATSM or Paediatric & adolescent gynaecology ATSM.
- Evidence of relevant academic achievements, e.g. degrees, awards, in the last 5 years.
- Evidence of relevant research e.g. presentations, publications in peer reviewed journals within the last 5 years
Employer details Employer name
- Eligibility to work in the UK
- Is up to date and fit to practise safely
- Ability to provide complete details of employment history
- ALL sections of application form FULLY completed according to written guidelines
- Professional Integrity: Capacity to take responsibility for own actions.
- Demonstrates respect for all.
Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.