An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our expanding patient centred and supportive Gastroenterology department at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our hard-working and forward-thinking team are keen to develop the Gastroenterology and Liver service and would welcome similar minded candidates to join our department. This is an exciting time to join us with opportunity to support outpatient transformation as part of a blended workforce as we develop our Luminal and Liver services and establish novel outpatient pathways.
Our Gastroenterology and Liver service is one of the busiest in the UK - we offer a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for all gastroenterological conditions. Our JAG accredited, performance driven and patient centred Endoscopy unit delivers approximately 15,000 procedures per annum and is a spoke centre for the North-West Endoscopy training academy and is the admin hub for Bowel cancer screening within the Lancashire region. The post holder is expected to have a broad experience of Gastroenterology, and Endoscopy, contributing to the core Gastroenterology elective and emergency service whilst having a specialist interest in Nutrition service delivery and development. Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will together with other colleagues be responsible for providing a specialist Gastroenterology and Liver service contributing to outpatient, inpatient and Endoscopy day-case activity with the provision of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. This post will support Outpatient transformation and Gastroenterology and Endoscopy recovery and restoration post Covid-19 and help the department to achieve the referral to treatment (RTT) 18-week targets, 2-week wait, and 28, 31 and 62 day faster diagnostic standards reducing diagnostic and cancer waiting times.
The post holder is expected to have a broad experience of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endoscopy, contributing to the core Gastroenterology elective and emergency service whilst having a specialist interest in ERCP and EUS service delivery and development.
The post-holder will contribute to outpatient activity providing outpatient clinics, advice and guidance to General practitioners and triage of referrals through a Clinical assessment service and will be responsible for managing their own cohort of outpatient Gastroenterology and hepato-pancreato-biliary patients.
A commitment to Endoscopy is expected and with appropriate allocation in the job plan the candidate will make an equal contribution to the care of Gastroenterology inpatients and the out-of-hours GI-Bleed endoscopy service which is 1:6 at present with plans to transition to a 1:8 model with further recruitment. About us
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is situated on the west coast of Lancashire, with services covering the local authority areas of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. The Trust is part of the Lancashire and South Cumbria Integrated Care System (ICS) supporting a population of around 1.6 million people.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust serves a resident population of approximately 330,000 and the 12 million holidaymakers who visit the area every year. The Trust comprises Blackpool Victoria Hospital which is a large busy acute hospital and a smaller community/ rehabilitation hospital - Clifton Hospital. Outpatient services are also provided in Blackpool, Fleetwood and Lytham Hospital. The Trust is also responsible for the provision of a wide range of community healthcare services, including District Nursing, Community Matrons and therapy services.
The organisation provides specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology services, delivers community health services to over 445,000 residents including those in North Lancashire and hosts the National Artificial Eye Service across England. We also have specialised Cardio-thoracic Surgical and Sleep Medicine services (including polysomnography) and provide urgent and emergency care services to an estimated 18 million people who visit the seaside resort each year. Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to attached job description and person specification for further details for the post of Consultant Gastroenterologist with special interest in Nutrition at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals.Person Specification Education Essential
- Full registration with the GMC
- CCT in Gastroenterology and General (internal) Medicine. Entry on the Specialist Register or eligible for inclusion within 6 months of the interview date for the post
- MRCP or equivalent
- Nutrition or intestinal failure unit fellowship
- Formal qualification in medical education
- Higher degree (eg. MD or PhD)
- Experience teaching undergraduates and postgraduates with demonstration of effective teaching skills
- Experience in undertaking audits and understanding of the principles of audit and research
- Experience in service development and improvement in Gastroenterology
- Experience in undertaking Gastroenterology related research with publication in peer reviewed journals
- Previous experience of working in the NHS / experience of NHS working practices and systems
- Active participation in British Gastroenterology Society activities and/or membership of sub-speciality organisations such as ECCO, EASL.
Employer details Employer name
- Enthusiasm and commitment to Gastroenterology
- Endoscopy - Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload and to delegate responsibility and supervise staff.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a multi-disciplinary team and work sensitively within teams and across organisations
- Leadership skills - ability to take responsibility, show leadership and make decisions. Participation in a management training course.
- Commitment to CPD and completing revalidation when appropriate as per GMC recommendations as well as completion of annual appraisals.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both oral and written.
- Good IT skills and ability to use a computer
- Agreement to live within 15 miles of the Trust or within 30 minutes travel by car. Car owner with full driving licence
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Address
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
Whinney Heys Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.