The post holder will be required to participate in the delivery and development in the provision of anaesthetic services to the Trust, with a specialist interest in Pain Medicine.
They will be required to provide the provision of anaesthetic services for the variety of district general surgical services for adults and children.The post provides an opportunity for the appointee to introduce new ideas and aid in expanding chronic pain services. In addition to outpatient clinic and pain theatre, the post holder is expected to participate in elective theatres and on call activity. To meet the changing demands of patient care and service delivery patterns it is possible that some flexibility will be introduced into Consultant work programs.Main duties of the job
The post holder will participate in a consultant on-call rota (1 in 16) for the emergency surgical list
There is a full-time post for those who have a specific interest in Pain Medicine.
The Trust is happy to consider flexible working arrangements and extended days to deliver a desirable work life balance, support professional goals and personal development.
Job Plan (DRAFT): Week 1 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
WNT - LL
LEIGH- General Surgery
WNT - LL
LEIGH- General Surgery Week 2 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
WNT - LL
LEIGH- General Surgery
Chronic Pain List
WNT - LL
LEIGH- General SurgeryAbout us
The Royal Albert Edward Infirmary (Wigan Infirmary) provides in-patient acute beds for Medicine, Paediatrics, ENT, General Surgery, Gynaecology, Trauma, Pelvic Trauma, Breast Surgery and Urology. In addition, the Obstetric Unit is based here and there is an Accident and Emergency Department which also functions as a Trauma Unit.
Wrightington Hospital is where most of the elective Orthopaedic Surgery is performed, as well as accommodating the Rheumatology service. This is an Tertiary referral Orthopaedic centre of Excellence, attracting Anaesthetic trainees with an interest in Regional Anaesthesia.
Leigh Infirmary functions as a Day Case Unit and a Diagnostic and Treatment Centre - The Hanover.
The Trust serves a population of 320,000 on the western edge of the Greater Manchester conurbation. The Borough is bordered by the M6, M61 and M62 motorways as well as the main west coast rail line, providing excellent access to the Pennines, Lake District, and North West coastline Job description Job responsibilities Responsibility for Finance
Responsibility for Human Resources
- Participate in ensuring the effective use of all financial resources in providing and delivering the service
- Demonstrate awareness of the need for cost improvement programmes within the service.
- Promote effective utilisation of resources.
- Provide the service within its financial constraints.
Responsibility for Health & Safety
- Be expected to supervise and train SAS Doctors and Doctors in Training
- Adhere and promote Trust policies, procedures and guidelines and maintain the Professional Code of Conduct
- Ensure compliance with the Mandatory training policy in accordance with the Trust policy.
- Compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and Information Governance the potholder is not entitled to use for their own benefit or gain, or to divulge to any persons, firm or other organisation whatsoever confidential information belonging to the Trust or relating the Trusts affairs or dealings which may come to their knowledge during employment.
Compliance with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 the post holder is required to fulfil a proactive role towards the management of risk in all of their actions. This entails the risk assessment of all situations, the taking of appropriate actions and reporting of all incidents, near misses and hazards, and a statutory duty of care for their own personal safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Work Circumstances & on-call
A mutually acceptable Job Plan will be agreed on appointment to the post. The successful candidate will undergo annual appraisal and five yearly re-validations. The Trust and the Department of Anaesthesia are committed to supporting doctors through appraisal and re-validation. There is no on -call requirement as part of this appointment.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MBBS or Equivalent medical qualification
- Eligible for full registration with GMC
- oEvidence of achievement of foundation competencies, in line with GMC Good Medical Practice
- oEvidence of achievement of competencies in a relevant specialty
- Applicants knowledge is up to date and are fit to practice safely
- Demonstrate skills in written & spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients & colleagues.
Desirable Professional Development Essential
- Acute Safe Care: Up to date ALS or able to demonstrate equivlency competence
- Relevant speciality clinical knowledge
- Experience in making clinical decisions and managing risk. Know when to seek help and are able to prioritise clinical need
- Commitment to maintain professional skills & knowledge relevant to the post.
- Fully engage in appraisals. Self Awareness and ability to accept and learn from feedback.
Personal Skills Essential
- Evidence of active participation of Audit
- Evidence of interest & experience in teaching, and effective communication skills.
- Empathy and sensitivity, capacity to listen and take in other perspectives.
Employer details Employer name
- Team Working. Experience of working in a team, valuing the input of other professionals in the team.
- Capacity to work under pressure, demonstrate initiative & resilience, adapt to change rapidly
- Work co-operatively with others and demonstrate leadership. Work effectively in multi professional teams.
Wrightington Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary and Leigh
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.