Have you got exceptional clinical skills to support young peoples mental health?
Our vision is to make a positive difference to young peoples lives by providing the highest quality mental health care to our local communities, to help them overcome some of life's challenges. ELFT have an exciting opportunity for a vibrant Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist to join our CQC rated Outstanding Foundation Trust.
Working from our Bedford based clinic you will be joining a group of dynamic psychiatrists where you can maximise your own individual area of specialist interest within our varied clinical care pathways in Bedfordshire CAMHS.
You will be responsible for direct psychiatric assessment, formulation of treatment plans, leading MDT clinical discussions and helping to influence service delivery at SMT forums.
Main duties of the job
A dynamic Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist is required to provide clinical and managerial leadership for our new Intensive Community Care Pathway for North Bedfordshire CAMHS. This includes the established and well regarded CAMHS Crisis service and newly developed Home Treatment Team. This is a new post developed in line with NHS Long term plan objectives, but development has been brought forward in response to increasing demand following the Covid-19 pandemic. A similar team is also being established in South Bedfordshire CAMHS.
The service will provide emergency specialist mental healthcare for children and young people age 0 to 18 years living in North Bedfordshire. There is scope to influence the service development and function of the Psychiatry role within the team. The aims are to reduce the need for young people to be placed in inpatient care, often a long way from home, and to reduce the impact of responding to unplanned mental health emergencies on community CAMHS services and acute paediatric settings and to support joint working across teams.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
For further information relating to this vacancy please see attached job description and person specification.
- Fully registered with the General Medical Council
- On the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT, on approved higher training scheme
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent qualification (in accordance with Royal College of Psychiatrists guidelines)
- Approval under Section 12(2) of Mental Health Act 1983
- A higher degree such as MD or PhD
- Approved Clinician status
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of clinical work in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry at SpR, SASG or consultant level within the last 3 years
- Excellent working knowledge and experience of the application of the Mental Health Act
- Appreciation and understanding of transcultural and gender issues in psychiatry and a commitment to developing culturally sensitive practices
- Understanding of social factors relevant to child & adolescent psychiatry
- Ability to build effective relationships with patients, families, colleagues and other professionals
- Higher training in a specific psychotherapeutic treatment or modality eg. Family Therapy, CBT, individual or group psychotherapy.
ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS/ ABILITIES
- Leadership skills
- Ability to work as a part of multidisciplinary, multi-model team
- Creative in the design and implementation of treatment programmes
- Ability to manage complex workloads and support others to do that
- Consultation skills to services, teams and individuals
- Commitment to working with service users on service development
- Formal leadership and management training
- Experience of team /service leadership
- Experience of service development and introducing new services in mental health
- Experience of organisational development work
CLINICAL SKILLS AND SUPERVISION
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary team and provide leadership for the team
- Self-motivating and innovative
- Expertise in risk assessment
- Confident in therapeutic risk taking
- Commitment to clinical governance
- Experience in supervising trainee doctors and SAS doctors
- Experience in teaching junior staff
- Good teaching and communication skills
- Experience of teaching non-medical mental health professionals
- Medical education qualification
- Experience of teaching medical undergraduates and postgraduates
RESEARCH AND AUDIT
- Experience of research work
- Audit experience
- Experience of grant-funded project work Publications in peer-reviewed journals in relevant academic fields