Consultant in Anaesthesia - Pain Services and General Interest
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is situated in the City of Truro. We have a broad range of elective services, with a diverse emergency workload, and a changing demographic with an increasing obstetric population, in arguably the best place to live and practice medicine in the UK.
The Hospital is a major District General Hospital a major trauma unit, a vascular centre, with comprehensive cancer services, providing over 30000 anaesthetics per year, and over 4000 births, with over 570 beds. We have 27 operating theatres and anaesthesia delivery areas and 18 critical care beds, and further expansion planned. We have recently opened an Enhanced Perioperative Care Unit to look after high-risk surgical cases. We operate to a budget of 470 million, with approximately 6000 staff.
We are looking for Consultants in Anaesthesia with a Pain services interest and with a broad range of skills to become an active member of a flexible team of 55 consultants and 5 SAS anaesthetists.
Main duties of the job
The Pain/general anaesthesia post has the opportunity to add a components of both roles. Wider skills in audit and governance, and management and leadership would be particularly desirable.
Each job plan within the department is designed to deliver a balanced opportunity to enable professional and relationship development, to ensure quality anaesthetic provision and successful revalidation. Opportunities exist for all consultants within the fields of teaching, academia, research, education and management and leadership. We endeavour to introduce all colleagues to these areas to ensure a collaborative and cohesive department.
We are committed to balance well-being and professional interest throughout a career in Anaesthesia at the Royal Cornwall Hospital. We are delighted to offer an interesting yet life-style compatible 1:30 general anaesthesia night-time on call and a consultant delivered CEPOD and TRAUMA service with excellent national outcomes.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is notable for its excellent, national database surgical outcomes, across several specialties leaders in GI surgery and innovation in orthopaedic delivery, with outstanding interventional radiology. RADAR - a bespoke state of the art real time clinical and operational data analysis system complements our IT modelling systems and underpins this success. Environmental Sustainability remains core to our strategy, including novel volatile anaesthetic recycling.
We work with health and social care organisations including NHS Kernow and NHS England to ensure local healthcare needs are met. We provide acute medical, surgical and specialist services to around 500,000 which can increase significantly during busy holiday periods.
The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the University of Exeter Medical School. Keeping at the forefront of medical advances, we continually developing clinical services and are committed to maximising the range of specialist care offered locally.
We can offer you a rewarding career in a supportive working environment. We have extensive educational links to help you realise your full potential and develop skills to provide outstanding healthcare to the local community.
We have the following positions
Consultant in Anaesthesia Pain/General Interest
Sustainability is integral to the Trust achieving the NHS Net Zero target. All staff are therefore actively encouraged and supported to implement new ways of working within their field of expertise.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
- GMC Registration with a licence to practice
- FRCA or equivalent
- On GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of interview date
- Experience in clinical audit and governance
- Paediatric Anaesthesia in accordance with Royal College expectation of Adult General Anaesthetist with certification of completion of training
- Emergency CEPOD and trauma experience
- 1 year of Advanced Pain Training according to the curriculum of the Faculty of Pain Medicine or equivalent
- Ability to offer expert clinical opinion on a broad range of problems in Anaesthesia and pain management.
- Experienced in Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance and the benefits of how this improves the quality of care provided to patients and ensuring this is embedded in clinical practice.
- Specialist expertise in audit and governance, leadership and management or other areas specific to Anaesthesia
- ICM subspecialty qualifications
- Multidisciplinary pain management
- Multi-professional management of complex cancer pain
- Multidisciplinary and multi-professional management of Post ITU pain syndromes
- Multidisciplinary community based interventions for pain management
- Implanted devices for pain management