Are you an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist? We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated Consultant psychiatrist to join us and play a key leadership role and influence the evolvement of the existing service in line with the Long Term Plan and Community Mental Health Framework. You will form part of a high calibre consultant peer group in the heart of Dorset and will work in an established multidisciplinary community mental health team based at Hahnemann House in Bournemouth.
This post attracts aRecruitment and Retention payment of £20,000 plus a further relocation package of up to £10,000 if relocating to Dorset. In addition, we offer a commitment to flexible working, career development opportunities and our excellent NHS benefits.
Recommend a friend or family member and earn cash!
Do you have a friend or family member you would recommend to join us? Or do you know someone who wants to return to practice in the NHS? If the person you refer is appointed by the Trust and completes their probationary period you will receive £500 reward payment for the introduction! Please contact the recruitment team if you require further info!
We would love to hear from you to discuss how together we might design this role around you and your specialist interests, we are committed to enabling flexible working and would welcome a discussion on how this could be achieved for you.
Main duties of the job
Bournemouth West CMHT is well-established and has excellent relationships with other services. The base, Hahnemann House is a Hub for a number of other services including, Assertive Outreach East, Acute Day Services, Homeless Health Services, Recovery Education Centre, Veterans service and a Retreat drop in (out of Hours). It is located in the centre of Bournemouth a few minutes' walk from the beaches and all the amenities in the town centre. The coast line around Bournemouth and the wider area is an area of great natural beauty and vibrant local culture, and offers a fantastic work-life balance.
The Bournemouth West CMHT is a large multidisciplinary team with a clinical team leader, 2 ACP's, CCO posts, dedicated duty workers, support workers and a very experienced admin team and psychology team. We also have Social workers who are part of the wider team.
The post holder will take part in the consultant on-call rota remunerated at an average of 1:20 at plus 0.25APA. The post also attracts 10 days per year of study leave and an annual study leave budget of up to £1000.
We are in the process of rolling out and embedding the exciting new mental health offer in Dorset as part of the large scale transformation work, and are in the process of building and developing successful relationships with Primary care and the Community.
At Dorset HealthCare we're on a mission to empower people to make the most of their lives through our outstanding, joined-up healthcare services. We're a dynamic, forward-looking Trust, running 12 community hospitals, specialist inpatient facilities and a wide range of integrated community and mental health services for a population of almost 800,000 people.
We do things differently here - it's one of the reasons the CQC rated us 'outstanding' in 2019. It's also why 95% of patients across our services say they have a good or very good experience of our services and 89% of staff feel they can really make a difference. Whether you're looking to work with us in one of our bustling market towns, vibrant urban locations, thriving seaside spots, or among the rolling hills of Dorset, there are lots of ways you can make a difference in our communities.
Our 7,000-strong workforce is at the heart of what we do and our success is a testament to our brilliant people. We're all about building a workplace for the future, we believe in equal opportunities and we celebrate diversity. We're an inclusive workplace, where everyone is welcome, everyone can be authentic, and we are all encouraged to be the best version of ourselves.
Working with us you'll be part of a strong team, challenge yourself, build a career, and teach us what we don't know. And you'll be working towards our vision to be better every day through excellence, compassion and expertise in all we do
For the main duties and responsibilities for this role please read the attached job description and person specification. When completing your application please ensure your supporting statement reflects the criteria set out in these documents by showing how your experience and skills apply to this post.
As part of its integrated service for service users on CPA and Standard Care, the team offers variety of services including a Physical Health Checks Service, Depot Clinic (including Olanzapine monitoring), individual Placement support (IPS) employment specialists, designated Duty service, psychological therapies (including a DBT pathway and individual therapy), Education and close liaison with other services locally.
- General medical Qualification e.g. MBBS, or equivalent and hold a Licence to Practise.
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent, e.g. membership of a psychiatry college in another country.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Additional clinical qualification.
- Must be in possession or within 6 months of possession of a CCT in Psychiatry or on Specialist Register in Psychiatry.
- On Specialist Register in General Adult Psychiatry.
- Section 12(2) approval and Approved Clinician approval or ability to obtain approval before starting post.
- Experience of medicine outside psychiatry e.g. general practice, medicine.
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent knowledge in specialty.
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement.
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wider medical knowledge.
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA.
- Make decisions based on evidence and experience including contribution of others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Teaching Experience.
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within the NHS or comparable service.
Dorset HealthCare Values
- Proactive, respectful, supportive, reliable and trustworthy, and positive.
- Understand the importance of working with managers in the interest of goo patient care.
- Able to manage priorities.
- Evidence of management/Leadership skills training.
- Previous management experience including that of other junior medical staff.
- Understand principles of leadership and give examples of leadership in own practice.
- Able to provide clinical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team.
- An understanding of the importance of Clinical Governance in the NHS organisations and importance in patient care.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- To have an understanding of own strengths and weaknesses and how these attributes affect professional functioning.
- To have an understanding of the stresses involved in being a consultant psychiatrist and how to manage these appropriately.
Supervision of Junior medical Staff
- Knowledge of requirements for supervision and appraisal of junior medical staff.
- Approved educational supervisor training.
Research and Audit
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Ability to supervisor junior medical staff undertaking research projects.
- Published audit project.
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.