Consultant in Ophthalmology (with sub-speciality interest Medical retina)
This Substantive Consultant post has arisen due to the need for Medical Retina Services. Within the department of Ophthalmology, the appointed candidate(s) will work alongside two other Medical Retina Consultants. This post includes outpatient clinics with support from speciality doctors, trainees, optician and orthoptist. The department is fully equipped with Optical coherence tomography, Topography, Biometery, Ant seg imaging, pachymetry etc.
The successful candidate will join an existing team of senior medical staff including Consultants & SAS doctors and ophthalmic trainees from Severn deanery. On joining the department, you will become part of a well-established, friendly team and will help us continue to drive forward improvements in the service that we provide to our patients.
We are a friendly department and would welcome any interested candidates to visit the Trust or to get in touch to ask any questions that you might have. The team are also open to discussing other sub-specialty interests you might like to explore in a potential job plan. To discuss the role or arrange a visit, please contact Mr Mohamed El Ashry (Clinical Lead, Ophthalmology), Mr Nimish Shah , Mr Allaaeldin Abumattar via their Secretary, Lesley Hodge: Direct Line 01793 604857, Lesley.firstname.lastname@example.org. Main duties of the job
The Duties outlined below are not definitive and may be changed in accordance with the needs of the service. Clinical Duties:
- Multidisciplinary team working is key component of the working within the Trust and involves regular MDT discussions with colleagues
- Providing evidence-based care for patients in a multidisciplinary setting.
- Continuing responsibility for the care of patients in your charge, including all administrative duties associated with patient care (with secretarial support)
- Development of Medical Retina sub-specialty corresponding with Division needs and the strategic direction of the Trust.
- Experience/training in full management of MR services including ARMD, Diabetic Retinopathy, Med Ret/RVO service, retinal lasers etc
- Experience in management of Uveitis will be advantageous
- Responsibilities for carrying out teaching, examination and accreditation duties are required, and for contributing to undergraduate and post-graduate and continuing medical education activity.
- Provision of cover for Consultant colleagues' periods of leave in accordance with arrangements agreed within Trust policy.
- Participation in clinical audit and in continuing medical education.
- Conducting suitable duties in cases of emergencies and unforeseen circumstances.
- The post holder will participate in an out of hours Consultant on-call rota, detailed within the job plan section
Our STAR values are at the heart of everything we do. You can expect to see them in the way we act and the way we treat each other. Our values make us who we are. We will expect your values and behaviours to reflect the STAR Values of the organisation: Service
We will put our patients first Teamwork
We will work together Ambition
We will aspire to provide the best service Respect
We will act with integrity Job description Job responsibilities Management and Leadership Responsibilities:
All staff in each Division are managerially accountable through their Lead Clinician to the Associate Medical Director, who has overall responsibility for the services within the Division. Consultants are key members of the Division and are accountable and responsible for leading changes to service that will improve the patient experience.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- To support the Clinical Lead in policy and strategy development as a senior member of the Division Management Team.
- To contribute to the leadership and development of Services under the direction of the Clinical Lead and Associate Medical Director and in line with the Trusts business plans.
- The post holder will ensure effective communication and involvement of staff across the Division including support to the Divisional Director to achieve their objectives.
- Work in partnership with colleagues in other Divisions within the Trust.
- As part of the Division Management Team, assist in the cost-effective utilisation of resources, including pay and non-pay items such as equipment and drugs, within budgets.
- Work within the Trusts framework for Clinical Governance and Risk, including the development of clinical policies and adherence to standing orders, standing financial instructions and financial procedures.
- Undertake direct supervision of junior colleagues and participate in departmental/trust wide teaching programmes.
- Undertake investigations and report writing for incidents and participate in clinical risk management
- Appointed candidates will embody the STAR values and use the principles of the NHS Constitution for England to guide decisions.
Employer details Employer name
- Fully registered with the GMC
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Address
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.
249-MED9991262 - 1