This is an expansion post for a Consultant Anaesthesia and Pain Management. The post holder will work in collaboration with the General Anaesthetic team to provide a high-quality, progressive and professional anaesthetic service to a broad range of specialties including obstetrics. There are opportunities to develop special interests in Obstetric, Bariatrics, Colorectal Anaesthesia, Preassessment and simulation or Education. This post is offered at 10 PAs per week with two additional PAs per week negotiable following review.
Main duties of the job
The working week is comprised of10 Programmed Activities (PAs), a further 2 Additional PAs could be offered following negotiation. Each PA having a nominal timetable value of 4 hours. This will comprise of 8.5 PAs of Direct Clinical Care with 1.5 PAs for Supporting Professional Activities (SPAs). A job plan and work schedule will set out agreed arrangements for how work is organised, where it is located, what in general terms the work comprises and when it is to be performed.
For this post direct clinical care (DCC) (work relating directly to the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of illness) includes theatre work, pre and post-operative visiting, emergency work, outpatient pre-assessment activities, and administration directly related to the above, day time and out of hours. Supporting professional activities (SPA) (that underpin direct clinical care) include participation in training, medical education, continuous professional development, formal teaching, audit, clinical management and local clinical governance activities.
A specimen Job plan is included but sessions may be rearranged to suit the interests of the consultant appointed and the needs of the department.
The Anaesthetics Department is situated in the old trust headquarters. It is conveniently located close to the Day surgical and the Family Health and Diagnostics theatre complex. It comprises of multiple shared rooms for consultant office space and an open plan secretarial office space along with an integrated kitchenet in the same footprint. It provides a pleasant working environment with easy access to the Anaesthetic and chronic pain secretaries. There is also a hot desking area close to West wing theatres and the ICU with an attached lecture/seminar room and a kitchen.
This is an expansion post for a Consultant Anaesthesia and Pain Management. The post holder will work in collaboration with the General Anaesthetic team to provide a high quality, progressive and professional anaesthetic service to a broad range of specialties including obstetrics.
For more details , please see JD attached.
- Primary medical degree registrable in UK
- Full GMC registration with Licence to Practice
- Aspiration to attain CCT or equivalence in the next two years
- Experience of working in an NHS hospital
- Wide experience in all aspects of Anaesthesia
- Interest in Obstetric Anaesthesia
- Interest in Enhanced Recovery
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and within a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to plan strategically and to exercise sound judgements when faced with conflicting pressures
- Ability to use the evidence base and clinical audit to support decision-making
- An understanding of the current NHS environment, particularly in relation to reforms, initiatives and issues.
- Ability to teach clinical skills to medical staff/students and other disciplines
- Experience of conducting clinical audit
- Able to communicate in written and spoken English
- As a development opportunity: Demonstrate engagement with Quality improvement projects with a publication every year.
- Residence within 30 minutes travelling time of Manor Hospital and be able to fulfil the requirements of the post