Locum Consultant in Care of the Elderly
Hours per week-10.00 sessions per week
Perm/Fixed Term-Fixed term
Salary-93,666 - 126,281 per annum
Closing Date-25th October 2023
The Trust is looking to appoint a consultant physician who has a strong background in and a passion for Geriatric medicine.
This post may close early due to high numbers of applications so you are advised to apply promptly.
All correspondence for this vacancy will be sent by email please check your account regularly including your Junk and SPAM areas.
A great and friendly place to work, so bring your passion, commitment and expertise and enjoy the opportunities to make a difference every day.
Main duties of the job
The GEH Elderly Care team is an innovative, enthusiastic and multidisciplinary team consisting of:
5.0 wte consultants Dr James Egbuji, Dr R Mapplilakkandy, Dr M Alamgir, Dr Abdin, Dr Mukundan,2.0 wte Specialist Registrar /Trust middle grade doctors,3.0 wte rotational FY1s,2.0 wte rotational SHOs,4.0 wte ACPs,3.0 wte Physician Associates
In addition the team is well supported by therapies in all of the services provided. Inpatient care is provided on Bob Jakin (18 beds), Victoria (22 beds) and on AMU as part of the frailty service. In addition from early 2020 the team will operate from a state of the art frailty assessment unit (FAU) which allows planning to commence upon admission (if the admission can't be avoided) to mitigate the effects of decomposition by an extended length of stay. This post will further enhance that care and provide opportunities to extend the service and remit. Within the service it is anticipated that the consultant for this new role will have a caseload of 14 patients during ward rounds.
Here at George Eliot our vision to 'excel at patient care' takes centre stage. An ever evolving clinically-led acute service provider we are on a journey to continually provide high quality, safe and responsive health services delivered by inspiring and compassionate staff who share our corporate values:
Effective Open Communication
Excellence and safety in everything we do
Challenge but support
Expect respect and dignity
Local health that inspires confidence
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust provides a range of hospital and community based services to more than 300,000 people across Nuneaton & Bedworth, North Warwickshire, South West Leicestershire and North Coventry. The Trust has a reputation for providing high quality well-structured care in a friendly and supportive environment.
Duties of this post
Function as an essential member of the Elderly Care team with an inpatient caseload.
Provide clinical leadership and support for the Elderly Care team.
Provide expert advice and support to health care professionals caring for frail and elderly patients.
Support the 7 day working of the acute frailty service.
Provide expert advice and support regarding complex ethical and clinical decision making.
Undertake administrative duties associated with the care of patients (including activity data as required) in line with Trust Policy.
On Call Duties
Contribute to the GIM on call rota 1:10.
The post-holder is expected to take part in the general medical on call rota which is currently 1 in 10. This includes a mid-take (5-8pm) and a morning post take ward round. The majority of the post take ward round is conducted by the acute medical and ward based teams.
Experience and Knowledge
- Completion or near completion of a Specialist Training programme in Geriatric and General Medicine.
- Broad clinical experience in care of the elderly and General Internal Medicine.
- Thorough and detailed knowledge of medical audit, medical education, current clinical and medical best practice
- Understanding of the Clinical Governance process
- Understanding of the NHS. Experience outside the specialty.
Qualifications and Professional Training
- Eligibility for inclusion on the Specialist Register in geriatric and general medicine within 6 months of AAC date.
- MRCP or equivalent.
- Higher degree. Evidence of sub-specialty or other specific training
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead, communicate, liaise and negotiate with others
- Ability to advice on efficient and smooth running of specialist service.
- Ability to supervise, appraise, coach and mentor trainee and other doctors
- Ability to motivate, innovate and support staff of all disciplines
- Ability to manage and lead clinical team
- Competent in basic information technology
- Awareness of health service reforms and issues across all healthcare economy
- Undertaken complete audit cycle
- Ability to demonstrate recent evidence of relevant and continued research
- Participated in completed clinical research projects
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical practice
- Published research in peer-reviewed journals
- Higher degree by research
- Knowledge of clinical governance issues
- Interest and awareness of research methodology
- Understanding of the concepts of management
- Experience of service development
- Evidence of continuing research.
- Ability to form constructive and effective professional relationships with patients and staff. Ability to work in a team. Ability to delegate appropriately
- Caring attitude to patients
- Enquiring, critical approach to work
- Excellent inter-personal qualities
- Credible and persuasive presence both amongst clinical and management colleagues
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively (written, public speaking and presentational)
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Executive Team
- Ability to achieve objectives
- Ability to work within a multi-professional and multi-disciplinary framework
- Good organisational and leadership skills
- Ability to motivate and support staff of all disciplines
- Excellent personal time and management skills
- Running a service and participation in management process.
- Ability and willingness to work hours of the job, shifts, on-call with any reasonable adjustment to take account of any local requirement or disability.
- Ability to teach clinical and practical skills.
- Ability to design and deliver talks/lectures/workshops effectively
- Experienced in demonstrating clinical procedures/techniques to other healthcare professionals
- Commitment to continuing medical education
- Ability to organise and participate in and evidence of teaching and training undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Appraisal, assessment and mentoring skills
- Evidence of interest and ability to educate e.g., teaching experience, supervision of projects, educational qualification
- Evidence of interest and ability of management.