We are looking for two enthusiastic and self-motivated consultants to join our department. This will be a 6 month renewable contract up to 1 year in total. The successful candidate will cover general theatre lists as well as labour ward and may have the opportunity to participate in general on-calls once fully orientated to the department.
Depending on workload and departmental needs, the post may be extended beyond the original period.
Main duties of the job
This is a full time post of 10 PA, divided into 9PA direct clinical care and 1 PA supporting professional activities. SPA time is given to support personal CPD, preparation for GMC appraisal, governance and quality improvement activities as required for successful appraisal. This translates to 5 theatre sessions per week (each at 1.25PA, resulting in 8.75 PA for clinical work). The remainder of 0.25 PA can be delivered flexibly and suitable options will be discussed with the successful applicant.
The post holder will provide clinical care on theatre lists and cover labour ward if required.
We provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East. We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Caref or nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the best preforming Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
Our Trust has been rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Good' in all five of the main domains of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led, giving an us overall rating of 'Good'. We've also been awarded an 'Outstanding' rating for 'use of resources' by an NHS Improvement inspection.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around 10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending 25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors.
Roles and responsibilities:
Provide High Quality Care to Patients
1.1. The post holder must be medically qualified and maintain GMC specialist registration.
1.2. Develop and maintain the competencies required to carry out the duties required of the post.
1.3. Ensure prompt attendance at agreed direct clinical care Programmed Activities.
1.4. Ensure patients are involved in decisions about their care and to respond to their views.
1.5. Adhere to the Trust Customer Service Commitment and adopt a professional approach to customer care at all times.
1.6. Develop clinical practice through self-reflection and learning from experience, application of research into practice and active contribution within the multi-disciplinary team.
- Research, Teaching and Training
2.1. Provide high quality teaching to medical undergraduates and members of other health care professions as required by the Service Lead. To contribute to training and teaching of medical trainees, medical students, other doctors in training and other staff groups.
2.2. Responsible for teaching and training non-Consultant postgraduate colleagues.
2.3. Where possible to collaborate with academic and clinical colleagues to enhance the Trusts translational research/audit portfolio, at all times meeting the full requirements of Research Governance.
- Performance Management
- Work with medical, nursing, other clinical and managerial colleagues to ensure high performance in the following areas:
- Clinical efficiency e.g. Length of Stay (LOS) reductions, admission on day of surgery, reducing cancelled operations and DNA rates.
- Quality of outcomes e.g. infection control targets, reducing re-admission rates
- Financial management e.g. identification, implementation and achievement of cost improvement programmes and participating in efforts to ensure services are provided cost effectively e.g. managing locum agency spend, monitoring and managing the drug budget to target, ensuring accuracy of clinical data for the team
- Operational efficiency e.g. day-case rates, waiting list activity and demand management.
Please refer to our detailed job description for more information
Education and Qualifications
- FRCA or equivalent
- CCT in Anaesthesia or equivalent (on or within 6 months of inclusion on Specialist register at time of interview)
- Experience with management of high-risk patients
- Advanced Training in Obstetric Anaesthesia
- Implementation of Quality Improvement processes/ audit
- Previous consultant-level experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Proficiency with regional Anaesthesia esp. upper limb blocks
- Excellent communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Highly organised, self -motivated, track record of achieving sustained change
- Good IT skills
- Experience with high risk orthopaedics and trauma