Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is looking to appoint an International Medical Graduate Education Fellow for 2023-2024. The post will be based at West Middlesex, but there will be a requirement to support the other Trusts within the North West London Integrated Care System (NWL ICS).
This posts is an exciting opportunity for a junior doctor to formally develop their medical education experience and for those who want to make a commitment to education as part of their career.
Hands-on teaching will be central to the post, as will organisational skill, time management and, effective communication skills. An understanding of the difficulties faced by International Medical Graduates and best practice around induction and orientation will be developed as part of the role but a prior understanding would be beneficial. There is no mandatory on-call work.
Please note you should only apply for the post if the following criteria are met:
- Fully GMC registered.
- Have at least 12 months experience of working in the NHS.
- At a more senior level of training than IMT2/CT2.
- Able to attend either virtual or face-to-face interview if shortlisted - anticipated 11.10.2023.
- Able to take post anywhere between November - December 2023 for a 1-year fixed term post - some flexibility may be afforded here.
Main duties of the job
This one-year fixed term 'out of programme' post is designed for a doctor who wants to make a commitment to education as part of their career with a focus on international medical graduate support.
Suitable candidates should aim to use the year to support the induction and orientation of IMGs into NWL in line with the national guidance on IMG induction 'welcoming and valuing' - it will involve skill in organisation, communication, teaching and, coordination.
If you would like to speak to someone for further information on this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org or Kwaku.email@example.com
We provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East. We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care for nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the best preforming Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
Our Trust has been rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Good' in all five of the main domains of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led, giving an us overall rating of 'Good'. We've also been awarded an 'Outstanding' rating for 'use of resources' by an NHS Improvement inspection.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around 10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending 25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors.
Candidates are advised to read the fill job description (attached) which includes the selection criteria and details on how to apply.
Education and Qualifications
- A Core-StR or SpR in a recognised specialty training programme or relevant experience.
- Full GMC registration
- If in a training programme, by the time of completing the Fellowship will have no less than 12 months (WTE) of the training programme to run.
- Prizes or distinctions
- Educational Qualification e.g. PGCert or MSc
- At least 12 months experience of working within the NHS
- Experience of Organisational Change
- Satisfactory progression through training as demonstrated by satisfactory appraisal or ARCP outcomes.
- Presentation of work at a national or international meeting
- Leadership experience
- Development of teaching programmes or educational courses.
Skills and Knowledge
- Able to demonstrate personal and educational reasons for applying for this position
- Shows a commitment to continuing professional development
- Understands and can apply a range of educational concepts
- Research experience
- Good general knowledge / broad interest in academic medicine