Locum Consultant in Medical Oncology with an interest in Urology and Breast Cancers
This job description is for a 10PA fixed term (up to 12 months) Locum Consultant oncologist post. The post is based at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (NNUH), with a clinic day each week to be delivered in our North Norfolk Macmillan Centre (NNMC) at Cromer Hospital as we grow our services across our community.
This post is fixed term and is designed as a replacement created due to retirement of the previous post holder. Candidates should have a primary interest in urological cancers and brachytherapy treatment, although other secondary interests may be accommodated. The post holder will be joining a current team of five clinical oncologists working across Urological oncology outputs and secondary interests, with one vacancy being recruited to alongside this new post.
Main duties of the job
The appointee will join a young, dynamic team with considerable collective expertise and a desire to provide world class, evidence-based, patient-centred care to the local population and beyond. The predominant referrals include patients with breast, lung, urology and colorectal cancers as well as the less common gynaecological tumours, lymphomas, upper GI and Head & Neck cancers, brain tumours, skin cancers, neuro-endocrine cancers and sarcomas. Most patients are treated on standard protocols and many are entered into clinical trials. Neurosurgery, Hepatic surgery and specialist paediatric services are provided at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge.
The clinical team provides specialist oncology services to the Norfolk population of 900,000 people. A team-based approach in the department includes holding parallel new patient clinics, team-based complex case meetings and ward rounds as well as collaborating in service development.
Norwich is a great place to live. The city supports a wide variety of cultural activities. The North Norfolk coast is on the doorstep as is the Norfolk Broads National Park. The city also has some excellent schools and a thriving university. The city is only 2 hours from the center of London.
The Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (NNUH) is one of the busiest teaching trusts in England. We serve over 900,000 people across Norfolk, North Suffolk and surrounding areas for specialist services.
- The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is located on the Norwich Research Park and serves the population of Norfolk and Norfolk Suffolk and further afield for specialist services. It opened in 2001 and is a 1,200 bed teaching hospital with state-of-the-art facilities. We provide a wide range of secondary and tertiary services, including Accident and Emergency. The Trust commemorated 250 years of a hospital in Norwich in 2021.
Please read the detailed job description attached, which includes main responsibilities for this post of Oncology Locum Consultant
- Good communicator.
- Capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Enthusiasm for service development and teaching.
- Previous responsibility for service improvement. Management skills
- Applicants who are Nationals from another European country or elsewhere overseas would have to show equivalence to the 5 years training period in the National Health Service required for the specialty. Training and expertise in children's safeguarding
- Experience in research or published papers in area of special interest
- Commitment to develop an appropriate special interest
- Flexible outlook on working hours.
- Must live within a 15-mile radius of the base Trust or 30 minutes travelling time.
- Full Driving License
Communications and Language Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues, colleagues in pathology and support staff
- Good knowledge of, and ability to use, spoken and written English
- Ability to present effectively to an audience, using a variety of methods, and to respond to questions and queries
- Good presentation skills.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.