Locum Consultant Anaesthetist with an interest in Peri-Op Care and Trauma
Job Ref: 100-MED-GGH-141-L7
Salary: 105,401 per annum pro rata
Contract: 6 months fixed term
Hours: 37.5 hours/10 sessions per week
We are seeking to appoint enthusiastic motivated Consultant Anaesthetists to join our team of Consultant Anaesthetists in the Department of Anaesthetics in Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
The department covers Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen and Prince Phillip Hospital in Llanelli comprising of two vibrant NHS district general hospitals.
Glangwili Hospital has 403 Inpatient beds, providing acute surgical and medical services to the area. It also provides all consultant led obstetric care and paediatric services for the south of the region and all ENT surgery for the Health Board.
Prince Phillip Hospital has 218 inpatient beds and provides acute medical services and elective surgery, including Orthopaedics, Breast Surgery, Urology and General Surgery.
The Anaesthetic department is supportive of individuals seeking employment with the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS Cymru), or Adult Critical Care Transfer Service (ACCTS Cymru) as part of their weekly job plan.
Training & Education including a successful Consultant Development & Mentoring scheme aimed at developing you as a senior leader to enable you to effectively contribute to Hywel Dda and its future direction.
We welcome and encourage pre-interview contact and visits.
Main duties of the job
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:
- To ensure the provision and delivery of a first-class clinical service
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the specialty
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Health Board's Values, procedures and operating policies
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Health Board's service plans
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty or the Health Board
- Core clinical expertise in General anaesthesia and experience and knowledge of running a sub specialty service
- Leadership and team building skills as well as working as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Supporting and training multidisciplinary teams
- Participating in CPD including Audit
- You are expected to maintain your professional development for Revalidation
- Contribute to teaching and training of medical undergraduates and postgraduates
- To undertake regular multidisciplinary clinical audit and provide evidence based medicine
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
- Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest
- Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire
- 48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres
- Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services
- Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.
For full details of the role requirements please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for this vacancy.
- Full and specialist GMC Registration in Anaesthetics with a Licence to Practice
- Fellowship of the Royal College of anaesthetics (FRCA) (or equivalent)
- Batchelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree
- Appropriate Higher Degree e.g. MD, PhD or MSc or equivalent
- Certificate of Completion of Training in anaesthetics or Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration in Anaesthetics (or equivalent) or within 6 months of issue of CCT Or CESR or equivalent European Qualifications for Specialist Registration
- Broad based experience in Anaesthesia
- Recent senior trainee, fellow or locum Consultant level experience in Anaesthesia (or equivalent)
- Sufficient experience to participate in on-call obstetric anaesthetic cover
- Evidence of valid advanced life support skills
- Experience of working within the NHS in Wales
- Higher or Advanced training in Peri-Operative Medicine
- Higher or Advanced training in Trauma
- Interest and experience in developing a PACU service
Clinical Governance & Research
- Understanding clinical governance and quality improvement principles
- Understanding critical appraisal of clinical evidence.
- Evidence of participation in clinical governance
- Participation in a research, service evaluation or quality improvement project
- Involvement in guideline creation
- Involvement in developing peri- operative care pathways
- Publication in a medical textbook or peer reviewed journal
- Presentation at a national or international medical conference
Personal Development & Teaching
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Evidence of participation in teaching sessions for doctors, medical students or other multi-disciplinary staff
- Experience of supervising junior doctors
- Evidence of organising educational programmes for doctors, medical students or other multidisciplinary staff
- Medical education qualification
- Knowledge of the management and structure of the NHS
- Willingness to participate in clinical management
- Evidence of management training
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.