An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Specialty Doctor to join our established medical team within the Women's and Children centre based at The Princess Royal Hospital. The post would initially attract 10 PAs with the possibility to an additional 2 PAs after appointment. Our vision is for the highest quality care, to provide an environment in which all staff, and in particular trainees, are supported and thrive, with greater delivery of care by Consultants in line with RCPCH recommendations.
Main duties of the job
Duties will include:
- Acute General Paediatrics - CAU/ ED Cover.
- General Paediatric Outpatient Clinics, seeing new and follow-up patients.
- General ward duties, including patient reviews and day to day assistance with management of the ward.
- Provision of opinion and support as required by the A& E department.
- Support for critically ill or injured children.
- 1 in 6 weekend cover split between support for the RSH ED department and the PRH in-patient unit.
- To develop enhanced clinical skills, especially in the assessment and management of acutely ill patients.
- To have excellent team-working skills with the abilities and professional attitude to work well in a multi-professional team.
- To deliver clinical and quality targets agreed both nationally and locally with clinical teams and commissioners.
- To follow patients throughout their clinical pathways.
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) is the main provider of acute hospital services for around half a million people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid Wales.
Encompassing some of the most picturesque parts of England and Wales, the Trust's catchment stretches from the Cambrian Mountains in the west, to Newport and the fringes of the Black Country in the east. The main towns include: Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch (in Shropshire) Newport, Telford and Wellington (in Telford & Wrekin) and Newtown and Welshpool (in Powys) - all beautiful and unique.
Our main service locations are the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH) in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) in Shrewsbury which are located 20 minutes' drive apart. Together they provide 99% of our activity. Both hospitals provide a wide range of acute hospital services including accident & emergency, outpatients, diagnostics, inpatient medical care and critical care.
We also provide services such as consultant-led outreach clinics at the Wrekin Community Clinic, Telford, the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen and the Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Whitchurch Community Hospitals.
The allocation of PAs is reviewed and may be subject to adjustment when a further diary exercise is undertaken or if the service demands a review of the team job plan.
Any applicant who is unable, for personal reasons, to work full-time will be eligible to be considered for the post. If such a person is appointed, modification of the job content will be discussed on a personal basis with the Trust in consultation with other consultant colleagues.
- MBBS or equivalent
- APLS (or equivalent)
- Safeguarding training appropriate to role
- MRCPCH by exam or equivalent
- Full Registration and a licence to practise with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Have completed at least four years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time basis), in paediatrics, or as a fixed term specialty trainee (or equivalent) or have equivalent experience and competencies
- Competent to work without direct supervision
- Able to conduct practical procedures required of the post
- Experienced in making clinical decision independently and managing clinical risk
- Paediatric sub-speciality experience within paediatrics
- Previous experience as middle grade paediatrician
- 6 months neonatal experience at level III unit