For overseas candidates who require immigration sponsorship, you can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a CoS on the GOV.UK website.
The department has fully established 13 Consultants, providing shop floor cover for 15 hours per day. There is extensive support for examinations including all the Royal Colleges and GPs and a number of our doctors have achieved membership and fellowship of Royal College of Emergency Medicine RCEM within the last 2 years. WWL teaching hospital is amongst the best performing Trusts in the region.Depending on your experience you might be offered a Clinical Fellow post for an agreed term with the option to progress to the Specialty Doctor role.
More than one post has been made available because of expansion of our current workforce to cover all the expanded footprint of ED. Main duties of the job
The primary responsibilities of the post holder include:
- Delivering high quality, safe, and effective clinical care
- Communicating effectively and compassionately with patients
- Supporting as junior members of the multidisciplinary clinical team
- Collaborating with all members of the Emergency Department team and staff from other departments.
- Working to ensure audits in key clinical areas are acted upon to improve clinical quality
The role will require you to work across all areas in the Trust which includes core located UTC. About us Choose Well - Choose WWL
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust are the proud providers of acute hospital and community services to the people of the Wigan Borough and surrounding areas. At WWL, we value our staff believing that 'happy staff, makes for happy patients'. We have a recognised track record in staff engagement and living our values 'the WWL Way'.
WWL are committed to placing the patient at the heart of everything we do, and in the provision of safe, effective care that acknowledges and ensures dignity. We are seeking to recruit people who share our values and beliefs. On-Call
Please note that senior positions (AFC band 8A or above) may be expected to participate in an on-call rota, if the role is predominantly operational.
The role could require you to work across all areas in the Trust. Job description Job responsibilities
The Specialty Doctor is responsible to the Consultants and the Trust for:
Person Specification Experience Essential
- The initial management and primary care of patients presenting in the Department, however referred. It is expected that such work will always be carried out to the highest clinical standards and in accordance with accepted good medical practice and the various clinical policies of the Service
- They will be expected to work in the main A& E along with co-located UTC which has been opened recently
- Arranging for the follow-up of patients they treat in the Department - including the follow-up of any investigations performed and the taking of appropriate action in accordance with the results of these
- Transmission of relevant clinical information on patients to other medical, technical, and nursing staff either within the Department, within or without the hospital or at any other hospital, regarding patients under care or those referred to other places for further treatment or follow-up
- Initial management of fractures including reduction and immobilisation
- Undertaking procedures as appropriate for the Emergency Department
- Supervision of nursing staff and junior doctors in matters relating to the treatment of patients
- Maintenance of adequate and proper records on patients for both clinical and audit purposes (including data input into the computer system) and for the furnishing of letters, reports and other documentation as required for medical, legal, and statutory purposes
- Instruction of nursing staff and, from time to time, medical students, and ambulance personnel under training within the Department
- Coding diagnostics and treatment of patients on the information system.
- Experience in making clinical decisions and managing risk
- Minimum of 12 months experience as a Junior within emergency medicine
- Evidence of achievement of Foundation competencies by the time of appointment in line with GMC standards in Good Medical Practice
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Able to carry out ALS and defibrillation to a standard that accords with UK Resus Council Guidelines
- Able to prioritise and organise Clinical workload
- Able to use own initiative
- Ability to work effectively in different clinical settings which are required for the job
- Ability to work within a team
- Evidence of managerial skills, in relation to Junior staff and other professionals.
- Good IT skills
- MB ChB or equivalent
- Full registration with the GMC at time of appointment
- ALS or equivalent
Employer details Employer name
- Must demonstrate a commitment to maintaining professional skills and knowledge relevant to the job role
- Up to date knowledge of Emergency Medicine and evidence of an understanding of its application
- Capacity to apply sound clinical knowledge relevant to the job
Wrightington Wigan & Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Address
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.