Applications are invited for a full-time Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with a special interest in Oncology within Cardiff and Vale University Hospital.
University Hospital of Wales is the first Major Trauma Centre to launch within Wales. The Major Trauma Centre is part of an inclusive and collaborative South West and Mid Wales Trauma Network spanning six Health Board areas.
The Board is seeking forward thinking surgeons who will develop a service, fit to care for the needs not only of the population of Cardiff and the Vale but with the skills and attributes to take our Head and Neck Oncology Services to a new level across the South East Wales Region.
The OMFS posts will be based in the Head and Neck Directorate within the Surgery Clinical Board .
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is recognised as a teaching centre of excellence in a wide range of clinical services.
Applicants should preferably either be on the Specialist Register or be a Specialist Registrar within six months of eligibility for inclusion.
You will be able to take advantage of the excellent Consultant contract for Wales.
A satisfactory disclosure check will be required of the successful candidates for these posts.
Main duties of the job
You will provide with consultant colleagues a service in the speciality to the hospitals so designated, with responsibility for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illness and promotion of health.
The work will be based at both University Hospital of Wales and the University Dental Hospital. You will be responsible for the professional supervision and management of junior medical / dental staff. If appropriate the post holder will be named in the contracts of junior staff as the person responsible for overseeing their training and as an initial source of advice to such doctors regarding their careers.
The successful candidate will participate in a 1 in 6 Trauma and a 1 in 3 Oncology on call rota . You will be required to cover for consultant colleagues' periods of leave.
Cardiff and Vale University Health Board is one of the largest Integrated Health Boards in the UK, employing over 15,000 staff, providing over 100 specialist services. Working across 6 hospital sites, we have a diverse range of career opportunities to offer. Serving around 500,000 people living in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, we are focused on the health and care needs of our local population whilst working with our partners to develop regional services.
Our mission is Caring for People, Keeping People Well, and our vision is that every person's chance of leading a healthy life should be equal. As an organisation we are unashamedly ambitious for our population's health, rising to the challenges of today and tomorrow through our 10-year strategy, Shaping our Future Wellbeing. We are contributing to a healthier Wales with great emphasis placed on innovation and improvement, learning from around the world and leading the way in clinical research. Partnership working is strong at Cardiff and Vale, and we work closely with our staff and our community.
Cardiff, the thriving Welsh capital, is a fantastic city to live and work in with an abundance of sports, arts and cultural attractions. Situated to the west of Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan offers a combination of beautiful Welsh countryside and a dramatic natural coastline. Whether city life or rural living, Cardiffand the Vale offers the best of both worlds.
You will be able to find a full job description and person specification within the supporting documentation.
- Full Registration with the General Medical Council
- On GMC Specialist list for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery or within 6 months of eligibility for inclusion
- ICSFE examination in OMFS or equivalent
- Possession of a Certificate of Accreditation or eligibility for a CCST in OMFS
- MRCS or equivalent Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons or equivalent
- Current ATLS provider Certificate
- ATLS trainer status
- General Dental Council Registration
- Head and Neck Fellowship
- Evidence of work in General OMFS work including Head and Neck Oncology
- Experience of supervising and developing staff
- Evidence of participation in clinical audit and understanding role of audit in improving clinical practice.
- Understanding of clinical risk management and clinical governance management
- Publications in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Active Research interests
- An understanding of research ethics
- PG Research qualification
- Commitment to participating in and understanding of the management process
- Evidence of management training
- Experience of committee work
- Evidence of teaching medical and dental students and junior doctors/dentists
- Organisation of (undergraduate and/or postgraduate) teaching programmes
- Evidence of ability to work both in a team and independently.
- Flexible approach
- Evidence of leadership qualities
- To carry out Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery procedures to a specialist level
- Commitment to team approach and multi-disciplinary working
- Effective communications skills - verbal and written
- IT and presentation skills