We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and highly motivated Specialty Doctor (ST3+level) to join our Paediatric Team.
The position is a permanent full-time (12 PA) Specialty Doctor post in Paediatrics.
The post holder will support the provision of the Acute Paediatric and Neonatal service for Airedale NHS Foundation Trust.
*This advert may be closed early should we receive sufficient applications within this time frame.
Main duties of the job
This post has arisen as we establish a Speciality doctor tier at Airedale. We have already recruited doctors to this post and these posts will be to build on this.
The post is suitable for applicants at ST3+ level with experience in paediatrics.
Our award winning hospital is positioned at the gateway to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales affording the opportunity to live and work in a stunning part of the country with good schools and easy access to the larger towns of Bradford, Harrogate and the City of Leeds.
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and highly motivated Specialty Doctor to join our Paediatric Team.
Prospective candidates are encouraged to meet or make contact with members of the clinical and management teams. Appointments can be made for a visit at any point prior to the date of interview.
* Please see attached job description and person specification *
The post holder will be required to manage the paediatric ward, assessment unit and level 1 neonatal unit with a junior doctor on a rotational basis. There will be an on call consultant for support.
The childrens ward has eighteen paediatric beds (allowing for social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic). There is also a hot and a cold assessment unit which accepts referrals form GP practices, the Emergency Department and direct access patients. The Childrens Unit had 4690 admissions during 2019/20. The Level 1 Neonatal Unit has 10 inpatient beds, 3 of which have the ability to ventilate and stabilise sick term and preterm neonates prior to transfer. The unit provides comprehensive care for neonates from 32 weeks gestation inborn or transferred or repatriated from the local Level 2 and 3 Neonatal Units. In 2019/20 there were 232 admissions to the neonatal unit of whom 26 received intensive care.
The appointee will also provide support to the maternity unit attending delivery suite to provide expertise in neonatal resuscitation and stabilisation and the postnatal ward.
Services for disabled children or those with learning or sensory problems are provided by the team at the on-site Child Development Centre, including the Leads for Neuro-disability, but this area is not part of the responsibilities of the post.
- MBBS or equivalent register qualification
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- MRCPCH (Part 2)
- APLS and NLS
- Level 2 competencies in safeguarding children
- Significant UK experience as a paediatric middle grade in general paediatrics or significant UK experience at tier one (SHO) level with completed competencies to work at middle grade level
- Experience of working as a paediatric middle grade in the UK at a level two or three neonatal unit or significant experience of tertiary neonates at SHO level with completed neonatal competencies to work at middle grade level.
- Evidence of at least 24 months experience in Paediatric Medicine Evidence of exposure to safeguarding cases
- Evidence of competence of a range of medical procedures including cannulation, Lumbar Puncture, Intubation of term neonate, umbilical line insertion
- Full MRCPCH
- Experience of teaching and junior doctors and medical students
- Proven experience in undertaking Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills. Ability to maintain accurate and legible medical records
- Able to supervise junior medical staff and work as part of a multi-profesional team
- Ability to organise, prioritise and delegate workload and responsibilities.
- Ability to show leadership, make decisions, organise and motivate other team members for the benefit of patients
- Good IT skills
- Demonstrates ability to manage common medical and neonatal emergencies
- Demonstrate skills in Audit and Clinical Governance activities