Launceston is a location in the picturesque Tamar valley, and home to a number of excellent vineyards, dining establishments, gourmet food producers and farmers' markets. Launceston boasts an enviable lifestyle with relatively affordable real estate, stress-free commuting, quality education system and all the services you would expect. Launceston is one of Australia’s oldest cities featuring Colonial and Victorian architecture, public parks and the stunning Cataract gorge only a short walk from the CBD. It also serves as a hub for easy access to several of Tasmania's spectacular Wilderness World Heritage Areas including the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair and Walls of Jerusalem National Parks.
Launceston is easily accessible from the mainland and all major airlines operate to Launceston regularly from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane. They also offer seasonal direct flights from Perth and the Gold Coast.
From the pristine wilderness to epicurean adventures to world-class culture, living in Tasmania has so much to offer all wrapped up in a tranquil environment. Be inspired with all the opportunities to live and work on the Apple Isle, see what the Launceston General Hospital has to offer.
- North Tasmanian Pathology Services (NTPS) is seeking to employ a General pathologist to be based at our GX category laboratory in Launceston. NTPS is the major Public pathology service provider for North Tasmanian region, servicing LGH and other Primary care centres located across North Tasmania.
- As a General Pathologist, you will be providing expert advice on clinical interpretation of diagnostic tests in Chemical Pathology, Anatomical Pathology, Microbiology and Haematology with a clear understanding of nature and causation of disease processes. The role will have frequent interactions with clinicians, scientific staff and other pathologists and will include oversight of the different sections of the laboratory including Chemical Pathology, Anatomical Pathology, Microbiology, Haematology, and Transfusion Medicine departments. The workload between the different pathology sub-specialities will be tailored to the clinical requirements of the laboratory and shared with other pathologists. The role also requires high-level interactions with scientific staff about testing methodologies, quality control techniques and delineating protocols for issuing of results.
- As a key member of this team, you will be expected to contribute effectively to interdisciplinary team meetings, peer review sessions, education and quality activities. The role is also expected to provide supervision, training and education sessions for medical practitioners undergoing post graduate training in Pathology, medical students, laboratory scientific staff, university students undergoing laboratory sciences and other health professionals.
- This role is required to build a strong working relationship with internal and external stake holders and ensure that referring clinicians and their patients get accurate and timely results to ensure quality and safety in patient care. The successful candidate will join a group of other highly skilled Pathologists and work as an integral team to provide high level of patient care in the community.
Please see link to our Promotional Video of working with us in the future.
- The Launceston General Hospital Master Plan has been released and outlines significant capital improvements across the facility resulting in improved service provision.
- The Launceston General Hospital provides a comprehensive range of medical specialist services and has a cohesive medical team promoting high quality services, innovation and research.
Details of Appointment
Permanent, full time, day work, position working 76 hours per fortnight to commence as soon as possible.
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
- Applicants should note that, for a period of twelve months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1- Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 3 $163,005 - $247,768 per annum
Please note that access to the Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner salary range $234,726 -$247,768 is subject to the successful applicant satisfying the criteria for Senior Specialist Medical Practitioner Level 1, 2 or 3 as outlined in the Medical Practitioners (Tasmanian State Service) Award
- *Please note that Salaried Medical Practitioners Agreement is currently under negotiation”
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Provision of a fully maintained private plated motor vehicle or motor vehicle allowance of $27,535 per annum
- Communication allowance of $1948 per annum
- Continuing Professional Development Allowance of $24,927 per annum
- Access to salary packaging
- On call is a requirement of the role, and an allowance will be paid in addition to base salary.
- Superannuation 11%
- Private Patient Plan up to 35%
- Relocation package and accommodation allowance available
Please apply online by clicking the Apply button.
Closing Date: 22 October 2023
For More Information
Dr Muhajir Bawa Mohamed
Position: Director of Pathology
Phone: +61 3 6777 6690