This is an exciting opportunity to join the Department of Medicine for Older People (DMOP) at Manchester Royal Infirmary as a Specialty Doctor. This is a 10PA post but there is an opportunity to increase this subject to negotiation.
The team currently has 7 Consultants with a range of specialist interests including Frailty, Stroke, Parkinsons & Perioperative Liaison and is supported by ACP's, ANP's, Specialist Nurses and Physician Associates. The department covers 4 wards as well as outpatient services & a frailty service.
We are looking for a candidate who has a desire to work in the field of Geriatric Medicine and frailty. They should have appropriate experience, competencies, and skills to manage older patients independently with the support of consultants in frailty services, inpatient wards and outpatient clinics. It would expected that applicants would be able to act at the level of a senior registrar in geriatric medicine. This post is ideal for those considering CESR applications in geriatric medicine in future.
The CSU will support the writing of abstract submissions to relevant national and international organisations for publication and presentation.
Main duties of the job
This geriatric medicine speciality doctor post is designed to support our hospital's delivery of high-quality care for older people in the Department of Medicine for Older People.
Duties would include:
- Participation in the out of hours and weekend on call frailty rota
- Providing supervision, assistance and instruction to the junior medical staff e.g. foundation, GP or internal medicine trainees.
- Working in accordance with GMC good medical practice and appropriate policies of the Trust/Department.
- Communication of relevant clinical information to other medical, technical and nursing staff both within and external to the department, regarding patients referred to other places for further treatment of follow-up.
- Teaching and supervision of medical students, PA students nurses and junior trainees in the department.
- Supporting and developing quality improvement initiatives in accordance with departmental and hospital objectives
- Occasional duties may arise at the acute trust, e.g. major incidents, ensuring adequate ward staffing.
- The post holder accepts that they will also perform duties in occasional emergencies and unforeseen circumstances at the request of the appropriate Consultants.
- The post holder is expected to provide cover for the occasional absences of colleagues as far as practicable.
MFT is England's largest NHS Trust with a turnover of 2.5bn & is on a different scale than most other NHS Trusts. We're creating an exceptional integrated health & social care system for the 1 million patients who rely on our services every year.
Bringing together 10 hospitals & community services from across Manchester, Trafford & beyond, we champion collaborative working & transformation, encouraging our 28,000 workforce to pursue their most ambitious goals. We set standards that other Trusts seek to emulate so you'll benefit from a scale of opportunity that is nothing short of extraordinary.
We've also created a digitally enabled organisation to improve clinical quality, patient & staff experience, operational effectiveness & driving research and innovation through the introduction of Hive our brand-new Electronic Patient Record system which we've launched in September 2022.
We're proud to be a major academic Research Centre & Education provider, providing you with a robust infrastructure to encourage and facilitate high-quality research programmes. What's more, we're excited to be embarking on our new Green Plan which will set out how MFT continues to play its part in making healthcare more sustainable.
At MFT, we create and foster a culture of inclusion and belonging, provide equal opportunities for career development that are fair, open and transparent, protecting your health and wellbeing and shaping the future of our organisation together.
To find out more about the key responsibilities and the specific skills and experience youll need, take a look at the Job Description & Person Specification attachments under the Supporting Documents heading. So that youre even more equipped to make an informed decision to apply to us, youll need to take time to read the Candidate Essentials Guide that sits with the Job Description and Person Specification. This document provides you with details about the Trust, our benefits and outlines how we care for you as you care for others. Most importantly, it also contains critical information youll need to be aware of before you submit an application form.
COVID-19 vaccination remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients from the virus when working in our healthcare settings. Whilst COVID-19 vaccination is not currently a condition of employment, we do encourage our staff to get vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated, there is helpful advice and information available by searching on the NHS England website where you can also find out more about how to access the vaccination.
MFT is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, celebrating and valuing diversity and eliminating any form of unlawful discrimination across our workforce, ensuring our people are truly representative of the communities we serve. All individuals regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply for this post. As an inclusive employer, we are here to support you. If you have any special requirements to help you with your application, email our team at email@example.com.
Were looking forward to hearing from you!
Qualifications & Training
- Medical Degree
- Minimum four years full-time postgraduate training (or equivalent gained on part-time or flexible basis), at least two of which must be in Geriatric Medicine.
- Previous experience in Geriatric Medicine
- Full MRCP or equivalent
Teaching & Audit
- Experience of Audit
- Teaching of Junior Medical Staff
- Distinctions or Prizes during undergraduate training
- Research & Publications
- Organisation Skills
- Communication Skills
- Team working Skills
- Leadership skills
- Involvement in service development and/or quality improvement processes
- Full registration with the General Medical Council and a licence to practice