Would you like to be part of a team that provides outstanding care for patients with eating disorders? Would you like an opportunity to be an integral member of a team involved in the shaping of the future provision of Eating Disorders service in West Essex?
Main duties of the job
As a GP with an extended role in eating disorders or one that would like to develop that interest, you will be providing medical assessments which would include monitoring of risk and medical monitoring to patients in the west Essex area. You would be involved in consultancy to a wide range of staff in primary and mental health services, teaching and training and contributing to service audit and evaluation.
This 6-month, fixed-term post would provide an excellent opportunity to a GP who would like to develop their skills and knowledge within this specialism and there will be opportunities to develop local and national networks and to attend national training events. A major transformation of eating disorder provision is underway in Essex and it is likely a permanent role will be available in the future.
The post would be for 2 sessions a week and be based at Derwent Centre, Harlow but there will be an opportunity to discuss working arrangements.
You must have full GMC registration and be on the GP performers list.
To be the leading health and wellbeing service in the provision of mental health and community care.
We care for people every day. What we do together, matters.
Our strategic objectives
We will deliver safe, high quality integrated care services.
We will enable each other to be the best that we can.
We will work together with our partners to make our services better.
We will help our communities to thrive.
If you share that vision and want to make a difference to the people that use our services, then please contact us to find out more.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Open, Compassionate and Empowering. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including
- Season Ticket Loan
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
Medical Assessment and Monitoring
- To provide a medical assessment, treatment and consultation service for patients referred to the Eating Disorders Service (EDS) and to provide professional support to primary care networks in West Essex regarding patients with eating disorders.
- To provide an assessment of physical risk as part of the EDS multi-disciplinary assessment team. This will include arranging and interpreting appropriate investigations (e.g. blood tests).
- To contribute to multidisciplinary assessments, care planning, clinical reports and referral to other appropriate agencies/services.
- To provide assessment feedback to patients and appropriate professionals.
- To provide health education advice for clients following the medical assessment / review.
- To provide on-going monitoring of physical health disorder symptoms during the patients time in treatment.
- To provide end of treatment assessment reports to patient and relevant professionals.
- To provide medical treatment recommendations for patients who meet the Eating Disorder Service treatment criteria. The patients own GP will be responsible for prescribing.
- To refer to appropriate agencies for further medical assessment/treatments as necessary.
- To contribute to the development of innovative medical services, therapies and treatment protocols for patients with an eating disorder in conjunction with other professionals (including Psychiatry, GPs, and IPUs).
- Fully qualified GP with GMC registration and on the GP Register
- Evidence of annual appraisal and revalidation (when appropriate)
- General practice (Vocational Training Scheme) trained
- On the Medical Performers List
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Medical assessment and medical management of people with an eating disorder
- Team working and interdisciplinary collaboration
- Ability to maintain trust and confidence of patients
- Willingness to share knowledge and collaborate with other professionals
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with multi- disciplinary teams
- Willingness to learn new skills
- An understanding, acceptance and adherence to the need for strict confidentiality within an NHS MDT
- Successfully Completed General Practice Specialist Training
- Clinical and Information Governance
- Medical assessment and management of patients with an eating disorder
- Organised and efficient in record keeping and completion of paperwork
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work as an effective, sensitive and self-aware team member
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Demonstrable enthusiasm and commitment to the client group and service model
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to work and develop as a reflective practitioner