This is a very exciting time to join the team, the department that has recently been allocated a substantive investment for expansion and improvement and we are looking for highly motivated Consultants who are passionate about optimal front door medicine and want to work with us to grow and improve the department and Trust.
These are posts for Locum Consultants for up to 12 months initially in the Department of Acute Medicine. Successful applicants will join our expanding team of motivated Consultants working across both sites. Candidates with Acute Internal Medicine training and/or GIM training wishing to do hybrid posts are encouraged to apply. We are keen to support colleague's professional clinical areas of interest (e.g., Rheumatology or Respiratory to name a few) and are open to negotiations on your individual job plan.
Main duties of the job
A brief overview of Clinical Duties include:
- Supervising the medical admissions ensuring timely junior team assessment and Consultant post take review of ALL new patients referred to acute medicine in the acute footprint
- Supporting organisation of the acute medical TAKE including attendance of the patient handover
- Ensuring national and hospital target of care and assessment of patients are complied with
- Provide advice and when appropriate review of patients when requested by the medical and nursing staff of the acute medical and ED space
- Support liaising with supporting subspecialties such as ITU/Cardiology/Renal (to name a few) in the care management of unwell acute medical admissions
- Support prompt identification of patients who are medically fit and do not require admission to hospital
Please refer to the attached Job Pack for further details regarding the main duties and responsibilities of this role.
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) is the main provider of acute hospital services for around half a million people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid Wales.
Encompassing some of the most picturesque parts of England and Wales, the Trust's catchment stretches from the Cambrian Mountains in the west, to Newport and the fringes of the Black Country in the east. The main towns include: Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch (in Shropshire) Newport, Telford and Wellington (in Telford & Wrekin) and Newtown and Welshpool (in Powys) - all beautiful and unique.
A formal job plan will be agreed between the successful candidate and their Clinical Director and consultant colleagues, on behalf of the Medical Director within 3 months of starting in post. A full-time job plan is based on a 10 PA working week. The job plan will be reviewed annually and is a prospective agreement that sets out the consultant's duties, responsibilities, and objectives for the coming year.
Professional values & behaviours
- Demonstrates the underpinning subject-specific competences i.e., knowledge, skills and behaviours relevant to the role setting and scope.
- Full Registration and a licence to practise with the General Medical Council (GMC) or eligible for full registration and in the process of applying for this (eg completed a post graduate qualification such as MRCP that makes one eligible for registration with the GMC.)
- Broad exposure to medical diseases and their comprehensive management (acute and long-term conditions).
- Magement of patients with multi-morbidity.
- Skills in cross-speciality collaboration and/or liaison working.