The successful applicant will be based at the Longley Centre. The post holder will have office accommodation, with IT support for e-mail, internet access and secretarial support. The post holder will be issued with all required IT equipment including a laptop and mobile phone as may be required.
The post offers opportunities for experience in the development of Acute Inpatient Services in Sheffield. It reflects Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust's commitment to developing high quality services for patients with severe mental health disorders, and the commitment to excellence in the provision of acute care.
Medical workload and support for the service will be overseen by Dr Verity and Dr Karna. The post holder will have office accommodation, with IT support for e-mail, intranet and internet and secretarial support there. Main duties of the job
This appointment is for a full time Consultant on our Maple Ward
(10 sessions). The post holder will be responsible for providing medical cover at the Longley Centre in Sheffield.
This post attracts a recruitment and retention premium. The premium totals 25,000 (pro rata) and is non-consolidated. It is payable in instalments in the monthly salary. 5,000 on appointment 5,000 after 12 months 6,500 after 30 months 8,500 after 48 months. Payment of the premium is conditional upon satisfactory clinical performance and appraisal.
This post is permanent.
Applicants should have a higher qualification in psychiatry (Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent) and be included on or be eligible for inclusion on the GMC's Specialist Register. Specialty Registrars who are within 6 months of attainment of CCST at the time of interview are eligible to apply. The appointee will need to be both S12 approved and an Approved Clinician to fulfill contractual duties. If the applicant was not approved at the time of the interview, s/he must be fully eligible for approval. About us
- Annual leave - offering up to 33 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays on a pro rata basis dependent upon NHS continuous service time.
- Access to NHS Pension Scheme - we are members of the NHS Pension Scheme which offers generous employer contributions.
- Flexible relocation package - we offer up to 8,000 to support your relocation to Sheffield.
- Study leave - we offer 30 days over three years with a study leave budget of 1,500 per year.
- Parental leave - we offer a generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave package.
- Learning and development - we have a strong focus on learning and development for medical staff which offers access to a range of learning.
- Annual Clinical Excellence Awards - we reward the doctors who contribute most to the delivery of safe and high-quality care and the improvement of services.
- Research - you have the opportunity to work alongside our dedicated Research Development Unit which has around 40 research studies open at any one time.
- Staff network groups - we have a network of groups established by staff to talk about important issues, including:
- Ethnically Diverse Staff Network
- Women's Staff Network
- Staff Carers Network
- Rainbow (LGBT) Staff Network
- Disability Staff Network
- Lived Experience Staff Network
- Mentoring and coaching
Job description Job responsibilities
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Flexible working
- Workplace Wellbeing
- Attendance at ward team meetings
- Medical leadership to the multidisciplinary ward team and where required with non medical ACs to facilitate timely assessment/treatment/discharge for patients admitted to the ward.
- Medical leadership to the multidisciplinary ward team.
- Medical/psychiatric assessments for care planning and risk assessment
- Formulation and delivery of appropriate pharmacological and psychological interventions to aid recovery.
- Assessment for people detained under Mental Health Act.
- Attendance at Tribunal hearings for people detained under Mental Health Act.
- Completion of administrative tasks necessary for clinical responsibilities.
- Writing of Mental Health Review Tribunal Reports or reports to other agencies.
- Liaison with members of other teams to transfer patients into and out of inpatient service.
- Attendance at CPA reviews and pre-discharge planning meetings.
- Clinical supervision of junior medical staff
- Teaching of undergraduate medical students
Person Specification Knowledge & Skills Essential
- Attendance at Monthly Governance meetings and Leadership meetings (which will be aimed to be provided as protected time to enable candidates to provide crucial clinical leadership into operations of the service which will ultimately impact patient care and efficient team functioning).
- To review and undertake QIP / Service improvement work as directed by service needs.
- In addition, Candidates will be supported with any other special interest area of work they may have / would like to hold.
- Effective leadership skills
- Ability to deliver care in collaboration with service users and their families/carers
- Ability to supervise junior staff
- Awareness of the funding arrangements in the NHS and recent NHS developments
Training & Qualifications Essential
- Experience of involvement in service development and/or reconfiguration
- Practical experience of research
- Sympathetic to the Trust's mission
- Certificate of Completion of Training in General Adult Psychiatry (ST6 trainees should be within six months of attainment at the time of the interview) or CESR equivalent
- Inclusion on the Specialist Register or eligibility for inclusion
- Section 12 (2) MHA 1983 approved
- MRCPsych or equivalent
- MD, Other professional qualification (e.g. MSc)
- Experience in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience to a level allowing recognition of trainer status by the Royal College of Psychiatrist
- Experience in teaching undergraduates & postgraduates
- Evidence of experience in medical audit and understanding of principles covernance
- Practical experience Clinical Audit
- Teaching/presentation experience (e.g. conference presentation, EBM, research experience).
Employer details Employer name
- Ability to exercise effective leadership in a multi-disciplinary team
- Understanding of importance of multi-disciplinary service provision and the care programme approach
- Understanding of and ability to deliver care in collaboration with service users to promote recovery
- Sensitivity to needs of different ethnic and minority groups
- Awareness of gender issues in the service provision
- Highly effective communication skills
- Participate in Continuous Professional Development
Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust Address
Longley Centre, Norwood
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.