We are looking to appoint Consultant Hepatologist(s) at the South West Liver Unit (SWLU). We are seeking team players to join our outward looking, multi-professional service. We are proud to have been awarded full IQILS level 2 accreditation, and the new appointee(s) will be committed to providing the highest quality care in local and regional liver & pancreato-biliary services.
The SWLU provides comprehensive secondary and tertiary services to patients with all forms of liver and pancreato-biliary disease in the South West region, including pre and post liver transplant care, liver cancer treatment and TIPS. The department provides a supportive, multi-disciplinary working environment, where sub-specialty interests can be pursued. The SWLU is active in basic and clinical research and the transplant programme has close links to Kings College Hospital.
The successful candidate(s) will share inpatient and outpatient duties with existing Hepatologists to provide the highest quality care for people with all forms of liver and pancreato-biliary disease. Interests in any aspect of general hepatology, or pancreato-biliary services can be supported.
Procedural skills in Endoscopy, ERCP, EUS, and Spyglass are supported but not essential. Opportunities are available for professional development in leadership, research and medical education at University of Plymouth Peninsula Medical School. Main duties of the job
Main duties of the role include:
- Inpatient ward week.
- Ward weekends / Hepatology on-call.
- Tertiary and day case week.
- Weekly MDT's - transplant/HCC/advanced care planning, HCV ODN and histology.
- Monthly governance meetings.
- Weekly outpatient clinics.
- Weekly endoscopy sessions.
- GIM Medical outlier - adhoc basis.
- Clinical Audit
For more information on the above, please see attached job description. About us
We are a people business - where every member of staff matters and can make a difference. Patients are at the heart of everything we do. Joining University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust means becoming part of a team of dedicated staff, who are committed to leading the way through innovation, clinical excellence and great customer care. The Trust has great opportunities for career development in a highly progressive working environment. We offer all of this in a vibrant, modern city with a historic reputation for adventure. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL COMMUNICATION WILL BE ELECTRONIC, PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT REGULARLY. If you have any issues with applying online and need additional support including reasonable adjustments with the application process please contact the recruitment team on 01752 432100. We recognise that work life balance is important for our colleagues and so we invite requests from applicants around less than full time/flexible working for our advertised roles. Please contact the recruiting manager to discuss this prior to your application submission. We commit to giving this full consideration in each case. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply for our roles, as diversity strengthens our teams. It is sometimes necessary to close vacancies before the closing date. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been shortlisted. Job description Job responsibilities
Please see attached job description for more information on the role and responsibilities of the post holder.Person Specification Education, qualifications and special training Essential
- MRCP (UK) or equivalent
- On the GMC Specialist Register for hepatology / gastroenterology and general (internal) medicine or eligible for admission within six months of interview
Skills and experience Essential
- Higher degree.
- Evidence of sub-specialty or other specific training
- Able to independently manage patients with complex liver disease
- Broad experience in all aspects of general hepatology.
Research and audit Essential
- Able to develop a sub-specialty area of expertise within hepatology.
- Skilled endoscopist, competent at therapeutic upper GI endoscopy including the management of complex GI bleeding.
- Interest in pancreato-biliary medicine and biliary endoscopy
- Active involvement in clinical audit, service improvement and governance
- Experience of clinical research
- MD or PhD
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Evidence of continuing research.
- Willingness to supervise post-graduate research.
- Ability to teach clinical and practical skills.
- Experience of undergraduate teaching
- Well-presented CV.
- Ability to communicate well with patients and staff, both orally and in writing.
- Clear communication with referrers
Interpersonal Skills Essential
- Information technology skills
Desirable Management Essential
- Ability to form constructive and effective professional relationships with patients and staff.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to delegate appropriately.
- Participation in management processes. Evidence of leadership qualities and ability to develop services.
Practical Requirements Essential
- Evidence of interest and ability in clinical leadership and management
Employer details Employer name
- Ability and willingness to work hours of the job on-call with any reasonable adjustment to take account of any local requirement or disability.
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Address
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust
Derriford Hospital Plymouth NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.