- Clinical fellow in Paediatric Surgery equivalent to registrar level.
- On-Call non-resident rota (1 in 7) EWTD compliant.
- Developing understanding of all aspects of assessment and management of sick children
- To increase exposure to specialty neonatal and paediatric hepatobiliary surgery
- To contribute to the research ethos of the department.
- Assistance in conjunction with consultants and specialist registrars with the teaching of undergraduate medical students.
- Involvement in the research interests of the department and audit will be encouraged.
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Care Group: Child Health
Site: King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill) / PRUH & South Sites
Specialty Doctor Paediatric Surgery
Trust Doctor - Clinical fellow (ST3-ST8) equivalent
Full-time 40 hours per week
Permanent / 12 Months Fixed-Term
Main duties of the job
- To supervise the SHO/CT3 and to work with other Specialist Registrars performing day-to day care of the surgical patients in the children's wards.
- To attend operating theatre sessions and under consultant supervision perform operations according to an agreed level of competence.
- To maintain communication with other health professionals.
- Attendance on consultant-led ward rounds.
- To attend Consultant supervised outpatient clinics .
- Ensure compliance with our clinical governance framework
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK's largest and busiest teaching Trusts with a turnover of c1 billion, 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 15,000 staff based across South East London. The Trust provides a full range of local and specialist services across its five sites. The trust-wide strategy of Strong Roots, Global Reach is our Vision to be BOLD, Brilliant people, Outstanding care, Leaders in Research, Innovation and Education, Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at the heart of everything we do. By being person-centred, digitally-enabled, and focused on sustainability, we aim to take Team King's to another level.
We are at a pivotal point in our history and we require individuals who are ready to join a highly professional team and make a real, lasting difference to our patients and our people.
King's is committed to delivering Sustainable Healthcare for All via our Green Plan. In line with national Greener NHS ambitions, we have set net zero carbon targets of 2040 for our NHS Carbon Footprint and 2045 for our NHS Carbon Footprint Plus. Everyone's contribution is required in order to meet the goals set out in our Green Plan and we encourage all staff to work responsibly, minimising their contributions to the Trust's carbon emissions, waste and pollution wherever possible.
Applications are invited for 2 x full-time Senior Clinical Fellow (Registrar equivalent) within the Department of Paediatric Surgery at Kings College Hospital.
The successful candidate will join the Department which has 6x full-time Consultant Paediatric Surgeons, supported by 2 specialist registrars (on the South East Consortium Scheme), 4 Senior Clinical Fellows and a rotational CT2 (Supernumerary) who together provide a 1 in 7 non-resident on-call service.
This post is suitable for paediatric doctors with evidence of competencies and experience in general paediatric surgery at the time of appointment and eligibility to work in the UK. All applicants must have MRCS/FRCS or equivalent and be fully GMC registered. Although this appointment is not accredited for training, the appointees will be expected to participate fully in the educational and training programmes within the each department and the hospital. Appointees will have a named educational supervisor. Annual leave and study leave is commensurate with other post foundation doctors. The experience and opportunities offered would be excellent experience for an applicant planning a career in paediatric surgery.
The Trust is recognised internationally for its work in liver disease and transplantation, neurosciences, cardiac, haemato-oncology, fetal medicine, stroke, major trauma, and Emergency Department.
Kings is a key partner in one of London's foremost Academic Health Science Centres, King's Health Partners (KHP). KHP is one of only six Department of Health-designated AHSCs in England. It brings together a world-leading research-led university Kings College London and three successful NHS Foundation Trusts: Kings College Hospital, Guys and St Thomas, and South London and Maudsley.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of our dedicated workforce and join one of the largest and most successful Foundation Trusts in the UK with an international reputation for innovation and the desire to make a difference.
You must be fully registered with the GMC and hold a Licence to Practice and have equivalent experience and competencies relevant for the role.
The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable adults and/or children (0-18 years), therefore this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975, and as such, it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
For further information or informal visits, please contact :email@example.com / 020 3299 3350
Closing Date: 30/09/23, midnight.
- Evidence of participation and active involvement in Audit programme
- Day to day, multidisciplinary services, paediatric experience