This is an amazing opportunity join our Primary Care Services Team as a Physician Associate in Downham Market and Swaffham, West Norfolk.
The post-holder will hold a science-related degree prior to graduating from the recognised Physician Associate (PA) training program either from the UK or recognised PA course from elsewhere.
He/she will work to the medical model, with the attitudes, skills and knowledge base to deliver holistic care and treatment within the Primary Care Network under defined levels of supervision. Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be involved in assessing and managing PCN patients and will deal with a wide range of health needs in a primary care setting, ensuring the highest standards of care for all registered and temporary patients. They will proactively contribute to the PCNs aim of providing Excellence in Healthcare.
Under supervision of an identified GP within the PCN, the post holder will provide care for the presenting patient from focused history taking, clinical assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of care. They will demonstrate safe, clinical decision making and expert care, including assessment and diagnostic skills, for patients within the service.
The post holder will demonstrate critical thinking in the decision-making process. They will work collaboratively with the healthcare team to meet the needs of the patients, supporting the delivery of policy and procedures. The post holder will provide a holistic and clinical service, with support and supervision of GPs, implementing agreed management plans and following approved protocols as appropriate. About us
Based in West Norfolk, our PCN serves over 55,000 patients across our seven member Practices of Manor Farm Medical Practice, Plowright Surgery, Campingland Surgery, Litcham Health Centre, Howdale Surgery, the Hollies Surgery and Bridge Street Surgery.
We pride ourselves on offering our patients the best care possible, demonstrating innovation, clinical excellence and working collaboratively with our allied health care professionals across the network.
We encourage career development provided by in house training programs and coaching support for external training and development opportunities. Job description Job responsibilities
Other Responsibilities within the PCN
- In accordance with the PCN timetable, as agreed, the post-holder will make him/her-self available to undertake a variety of duties including consultations, telephone consultations and queries, visiting patients at home, arranging appropriate investigations and following up the results, paperwork and correspondence in a timely fashion.
- Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate treatment/ interventions for the care of patients presenting with undifferentiated and undiagnosed problems.
- Make autonomous decisions in relation to the appropriate management of presenting problems for conditions within competency for a Physicians Associate.
- Work within own level of competence referring to a GP or other health professional when appropriate.
- Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate treatment/ interventions for the care patients of patients with complex needs
- Proactively identify, assess, diagnose, manage and treat patients with long term conditions including development of care plans for these patients
- Screening patients for disease risk factors and early signs of illness
- Prioritise health problems and intervene appropriately to assist the patient in complex, urgent or emergency situations, including initiation of effective emergency care.
- Work with patients in order to support compliance with and adherence to prescribed treatments.
- Provide information and advice on prescribed or over the counter medication, on medication regimens, side effects and interactions
- In consultation with patients and in line with current practice, follow disease management protocols and develop care plans.
- Support patients to adopt health promotion strategies that promote healthy lifestyles and apply principles of self-care.
- Referring to other care providers as appropriate
- Recording clear and contemporaneous consultation notes to agreed standards
- Collecting data for audit purposes
- Show awareness of PCN prescribing formulary and CCG prescribing guidelines when recommending medication for a patient
- Proactive actions to ensure QOF and CFF data maximised
- Ensuring all QOF data entered during consultation
- Involvement in on the day minor illness clinics
- Involvement in duty sessions which will include an 8am start for morning sessions and 6.30pm finish for afternoon sessions as required.
- Adherence to PCN processes and policies
- Show flexibility and understanding at times of increased Patient demand and PCN pressure
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Awareness of and compliance with all relevant practice policies/guidelines, e.g. prescribing, confidentiality, data protection, health and safety
- A commitment to life-long learning and audit to ensure evidence-based best practice
- Contributing to evaluation/audit and clinical standard setting within the organisation
- Work as an effective and responsible team member, supporting others and exploring the mechanisms to develop new ways of working
- Provide an educational role to patients, carers, families and colleagues in an environment that facilitates learning.
- Read-Coding patient data ensuring the highest level of data quality.
- Attending training and events organised by the practice or other agencies, where appropriate.
- Complying with all PCN protocols in relation to GP practice administration and clinical practice.
- Adhere to the relevant NHS Codes of Practice and own professional Code of Conduct.
- Actively participate in the required revalidation process of the Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Registration Commission (PAMVRC) and the appropriate regulating body when this is in place.
- Support the development of the role of Physician Associate to ensure high delivery of care within their specialty and beyond.
- Act as role model for Physician Associates and support the promotion of this new role within the healthcare multi-disciplinary team.
- It is expected that the post holder will undertake any other duties which are deemed appropriate to the band/role when requested by GPs/other clinical team members.
- A recognised Physician Associate Programme graduate
- Certification of passing the PA National Examination
- Membership of the Faculty of Physician Associates which included Registration within the UK Managed Voluntary Registry for Physician Associates
- BA/BSc Degree
- MSc Degree in Physician Associates Studies
- Additional clinical qualification and registration that would allow study for Non-Medical Prescribing
- Newly Qualified or Experienced Physician Associate
- Experience of working in multi- disciplinary teams.
- Experience of managing complex workloads and prioritisation able to demonstrate and understanding of this as part of the applicants training.
Knowledge & Skills Essential
- BLS/AED certification
- Experience of working within a general practice environment
- Experience of preventative medicine and management of patients with long term conditions and complex needs
- Experience at seeing and assessing acutely unwell people presenting in primary care
- Experience working in healthcare environment as a qualified physician associate
- Child protection and vulnerable adults training/certification
- Experience of conducting clinical audit.
- Ability to manage workload effectively
- Able to use own initiative in implementing training reliably
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to exercise sound judgements under pressure
- Ability to used ICT effectively including internet, Outlook, Word, Excel
- Ability to work well with colleagues and within a team
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Flexibly to meet the needs of the practice
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, patients, relatives, other staff and agencies.
- Commitment to Continuing Clinical Education and professional Development.
- An enquiring and critical approach to work
- Friendly team player with enthusiasm, keenness to learn and an eye for detail
- Caring attitude to patients
- Appropriate immigration status (where appropriate)
- DBS check/compliance
- Full clean and valid Driving license
- Willingness to do home visits
Employer details Employer name
- An awareness of current and future initiatives in primary care wider locality
Swaffham & Downham Primary Care Network Address
Bridge Street Surgery
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.