Band 7 Physician's Associate for Virtual Hospital Services
This is an exciting opportunityto join the RBFT's Virtual Hospital Services (VHS) directorate, which is at the forefront of delivering new models of care through its Virtual Ward, named the Virtual Acute Care Unit (VACU).
Our services care for patients with a variety of conditions, including those with respiratory conditions, general medical conditions and infections, who would otherwise be in a hospital setting. This care is provided to them in the comfort of a place they call home using personal remote monitoring equipment and daily consultations that enable them to safely leave the hospital setting sooner or provide an alternative to a tradition in-patient admission.
Our service works across many specialties and departments, and is integrated with our Acute Medical team and microbiology services where we provide a Virtual Clinical Infection Service, the COVID Medicine Delivery Unit (CMDU) and looking to expand into providing IV therapies remotely.
Point Of Care Testing (POCT), and in-particular Point Of Care Ultrasound (POCUS) and pathology, is an enabler for our pathways, and is an essential component in our service where we look to optimise diagnostics and earlier intervention at the bedside and in time in their home. Training and experience in this area will be offered and supported. Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be a:
- A specialist Physician Associate within the Virtual Hospital Service and a member of a multi-disciplinary team within the Urgent Care Group.
- Provides holistic care for patients suitable for Virtual Acute Care management, making clinical diagnosis and decisions, within scope of practice, based on clinical examination skills, evidence-based practice and Trust protocols.
- Utilises Point Of Care Tests, including the use of Ultrasound, to support patient management and extended clinical skills.
- To work across both sites and outreach into to patients homes.
- To develop and maintain supportive working relationships with multidisciplinary colleagues in order to ensure continuity and quality of care for a caseload of patients.
- To assist the Virtual Hospital team in the development of the service.
NHS England and NHS improvement have asked for virtual services to be extended across the country our service is expanding, where we seeks enthusiastic clinicians whom wish to support this expansion through shaping its design and service development.
Come and join a friendly innovative team where we aim to try new ways of working, and use technology to our patients advantage.
We offer training and support, and can help maintain clinical skills and build new ones, whilst being exposed to our partner departments.
Please note, despite the Virtual nature of this role, staff are required to work on the acute site at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, at the spoke site based in the University of Reading and undertake assessments in patient's homes. There will be opportunities to work remotely from home following a successful probationary period and in discussion with the line manager. Job description Job responsibilities
- The Virtual Hospital Service directorate, formed in 2022, was created following the pandemic as a result of an innovative service that supported COVID patients to be managed at home.
- The goal of our service now is to manage a range of patients that would ordinarily be in an acute hospital bed.
- This is achieved through providing admission alternatives and facilitating early transfer to the Virtual Acute Care Unit, also known as the place they call home.
- We have closes links with Wards and departments, especially our ambulatory and same day emergency care teams.
- We provide Virtual Hospital Services through a range of areas, Virtual Acute Care Unit (VACU), Virtual Follow-up, Clinical Infection Service, COVID Medicines Delivery Unit (CMDU) and our soon to launch Hospital @ Home and IV therapy service.
- Whilst under our care, patients are managed remotely with the use of virtual and remote technologies. We assess, make a management plan and titrate treatments.
- Our service is expanding, and now includes our Clinical Infection Service, as well as our proposed hospital at home arm.
- The service is managed by a multidisciplinary team, which includes, Nurses, Physicians Associates, pharmacists, clinical administration and medical teams.
What we do: www.youtube.comPerson Specification Experience Essential
- Ability to organise, prioritise workload and take responsibility for the clinical care of patients under the supervision of the medical team.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with colleagues, patients, relatives, nurses, other staff and agencies.
- Clinical experience and training in virtual hospital services.
- Experience of service design and improvement.
- BA/BSc degree prior to undertaking PA programme (A)
- PG Dip in Physician Associate from a UK training Programme (A)
Management and Audit Desirable
- MSc in Physician Associate studies
Employer details Employer name
- Experience of Clinical Audit
- Experience of quality improvement and service development
Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust Address
Royal Berkshire Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.