We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic consultant who will contribute to the provision and development of high quality rheumatological care for the Fylde coast population. Sessional commitments will include outpatient clinics, review of inpatients at the request of consultant colleagues and multidisciplinary clinical meetings. This is a new post to help support some innovative service developments, including telephone advice and guidance and the development of virtual clinics. The appointee will join 4 Consultant colleagues. The contract is for 10 Programmed Activities, additional programmed activities may be available subject to negotiation with the Clinical Director. There is no on-call commitment for this post.
Main duties of the job
Applications are invited for a new post as Consultant in Rheumatology at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Applicants will be expected to have MRCP and be on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of achieving CCT from date of interview.
The Trust is highly active in clinical research. We are the highest recruiting centre for many clinical trials for commercial and non-commercial sponsors and have recruited the first global, European and UK patients across a number of specialties. The Clinical Research Centre is the dedicated facility for use by researchers, where patients can participate in research. We have high calibre staff with long track records of being research active, staff who are enthusiastic to get involved in research for the first time and staff who support research through their role. Our unit is active in clinical research. We are recruiting patients to non-commercial studies including biologic registers and studies looking at intensive management of RA. Ideally the applicant would play an active role in clinical research.
Please ensure you read the Job description and Person Specification attached to the advert in full before applying.
- Inclusion on the Specialist Register or eligible for inclusion within 6 months of interview date
- Full registration with the GMC
Qualifications and Training
- MB ChB or equivalent
- MRCP or equivalent
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both oral and written
- Effective teaching skills
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload and to delegate responsibility and supervise staff.
- Ability to motivate and inspire a multi-disciplinary team and work sensitively within teams and across organisations
- Involvement and evidence of implementation of service development and managing change in a healthcare setting
- Leadership skills- ability to take responsibility, show leadership and make decisions
- Able to work as a member of a team.
- Clinical Skills - ability to perform unsupervised common practical procedures
- Computer and IT skills
- Educational qualification or working towards.
- Access to own transport with full driving licence
- Awareness of NHS organisation and core values of NHS
- Understanding of the management responsibilities of NHS consultants
- Participation in a management training course
Knowledge / Research
- Commitment to CPD and requirements of clinical governance and audit
- Experience teaching undergraduates and postgraduates with demonstration of effective teaching skills
- A proven track record in self- directed research
- Experience in undertaking Rheumatology related research with publications in peer reviewed journals
- Experience in service development and improvement in Rheumatology
- Previous experience of working in the NHS/experience of NHS working practices and systems
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.