The department of Acute Medicine at West Middlesex University Hospital are looking to recruit an additional consultant to compliment the well-established and forward thinking team. The successful candidate will broaden the collective skill set and will actively contribute to, and support true multi-disciplinary working in line with the Royal College of Physicians and the Department of Health's strategy for modernising acute care within the NHS.
**Please note the job description is pending Royal College approval**
Main duties of the job
The Acute Assessment Unit (AMU) at West Middlesex University Hospital is comprised of 64-beds 58 inpatient beds & 6 enhanced care beds.Telemetry is provided for those patients requiring it and the ITU is located on the same floor. The Ambulatory Emergency Care (AEC) unit offers high quality same-day emergency care (SDEC) and is comprised of a trolley-based area for assessment and treatment treatment chairs & rooms - alongside allocated outpatient clinic space.
Emergency medical admissions are rapidly assessed in the Emergency Department and then if admission is required, directly transferred to the AMU for further management. All cases, unless requiring CCU or critical care, are managed on the Unit until discharged back to the community or transferred for further in-patient care to the appropriate speciality area.
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East.
We have over 6,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care for nearly one million people. Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the safest and best performing Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff say they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
In 2020, The Trust was rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Outstanding' in the well-led and use of resources domains and 'Good' in the safe, effective, caring and responsive domains. The Trust as a whole was 'Good', but the Chelsea site was 'Outstanding'.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing around 10 million a year in our estate. We are currently spending c. 25 million on expanding our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and redevelopment of our children's unit at West Middlesex - in partnership with our charity, CW+ and generous donors.
Key Result Areas, Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide High Quality Care to Patients
- The post holder must be medically qualified and maintain GMC specialist registration and revalidation.
- Develop and maintain the competencies required to carry out the duties required of the post.
- Ensure prompt attendance at agreed direct clinical care Programmed Activities.
- Ensure patients are involved in decisions about their care and to respond to their views.
- Adhere to the Trust Customer Service Commitment and adopt a professional approach to customer care at all times.
- Develop clinical practice through self-reflection and learning from experience, application of research into practice and active contribution within the multi-disciplinary team.
Research, Teaching and Training
- Contribute to high quality teaching to medical undergraduates and members of other health care professions.
- To contribute to training and teaching of medical trainees, medical students, other doctors in training and other staff groups.
- Contribute to teaching and training non-Consultant postgraduate colleagues.
- Contribute to the clinical and/or educational supervision and appraisal of training grade doctors in order to ensure external accreditation of training posts.
- Where possible to collaborate with academic and clinical colleagues to enhance the Trusts translational research/audit portfolio, at all times meeting the full requirements of Research Governance.
- There is flexibility in the job plan to dedicate variable amounts of time to research, teaching and training depending on individual interests.
- Ensure that your mandatory training is up to date as per Trust policy.
Work with medical, nursing, other clinical and managerial colleagues to ensure high performance in the following areas:
- Clinical efficiency e.g. Length of Stay (LOS) reductions, admission on day of surgery, reducing cancelled operations and DNA rates.
- Quality of outcomes e.g. infection control targets, reducing re-admission rates.
- Financial management e.g. identification, implementation and achievement of cost improvement programmes and participating in efforts to ensure services are provided cost effectively e.g. managing locum agency spend, monitoring and managing the drug budget to target, ensuring accuracy of clinical data for the team.
- Operational efficiency e.g. day-case rates, waiting list activity and demand management.
Medical Staff Management and Accountability
- Responsible for on-going assessment and regular appraisal of all doctors in training, Trust doctors and non-consultant grades as delegated by the Divisional Medical Director/Service Lead /Divisional Director of Operations.
- Adhere to Trust / department guidelines on leave, including requesting and reporting absence, and professional and study leave, and to ensure that members of staff for whom you are responsible do the same.
- Participate in team objective setting as part of the annual job planning cycle.
- Participate fully in regular departmental activities including department meetings and team building activities.
Please refer to our detailed job description for more information
Education & Qualifications
- MBBS or equivalent
- GMC Registration
- FCEM or equivalent
- CCT/CESR in Acute medicine or GIM
- MRCP/FRCP Past record of academic achievement Publications in peer reviewed journals in relevant areas.
- Higher degree
- Additional related qualifications e.g. BSc, BA
- Teaching/ education qualification
- Level 3 Safeguarding Children as per intercollegiate document
- Significant Experience of NHS and specifically of Acute/General Internal Medicine
- Understanding of clinical governance and audit
- Under and post graduate teaching experience
- Training in management.
- Understanding of business planning and commissioning.
Skills & Knowledge
- Extensive knowledge of the Acute Medicine Specialty
- Commitment to the PROUD trust values
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.