The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust is looking for fixed term (12 months) Locally Employed Doctors in Upper Gastrointestinal and Colorectal Surgery Surgery who will be predominantly based at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) with potential responsibilities across both Trust hospital sites.
It is an opportunity to join a friendly and dynamic hospital team with a range of specialty interests and an excellent reputation for providing an educational and supportive environment and onward appointment to training posts. The post-holder may have the opportunity to rotate through other core surgical training specialties, including Vascular Surgery and Urology.
The post-holder will contribute to the general surgery full-shift rota with a an even spread of long days and nights across a 10 week reference period including a dedicated CEPOD theatre week for training.
Main duties of the job
- Work within the operating theatres involving both elective and emergency patients.
- Care of inpatients, including ward rounds.
- Supporting more junior doctors and physician assistants.
- Seeing surgical emergency patients whilst on call under the supervision of a consultant surgeon.
- Minor procedures such as suturing, arterial blood gas sampling and cannulation.
- To develop enhanced clinical skills, especially in the assessment and management of acutely ill patients.
- To have excellent team-working skills with the abilities and professional attitude to work well in a multi-professional team.
- To deliver clinical and quality targets agreed both nationally and locally with clinical teams and commissioners.
- To follow patients throughout their clinical pathways.
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) is the main provider of acute hospital services for around half a million people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid Wales. Encompassing some of the most picturesque parts of England and Wales, the Trust's catchment stretches from the Cambrian Mountains in the west, to Newport and the fringes of the Black Country in the east. The main towns include: Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch (in Shropshire) Newport, Telford and Wellington (in Telford & Wrekin) and Newtown and Welshpool (in Powys) - all beautiful and unique.
Our main service locations are the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH) in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) in Shrewsbury which are located 20 minutes' drive apart. Together they provide 99% of our activity. Both hospitals provide a wide range of acute hospital services including accident & emergency, outpatients, diagnostics, inpatient medical care and critical care.
The post-holder will be expected to contribute to the General Surgery full-shift rota. The 1in10 with proposed rota is compliant with the terms and conditions of the 2016 Junior Doctor Contract and WTD and has been carefully designed to maximise training opportunities for doctors whilst maintaining a safe and efficient service, with an even spread of long days and nights. The post holder will be 1 of the 10 doctors contributing to the full shift rota with a weekend frequency of 1:5 with 7-night shifts across a 10-week reference period and is prospectively covered for annual and study leave.
- MBBS, MB ChB or equivalent medical qualification
- MRCS Part 1
- Attendance at relevant courses e.g. ATLS, CCrISP, Basic Surgical Skills course or equivalent with a valid certificate
- Full Registration and a licence to practise with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Demonstration of acquisition of the level of knowledge and skills necessary for the completion of F1 or 2 or evidence of equivalent training and experience.
- That applicants have undertaken undergraduate medical training in English or academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) results showing a score of at least 7.0 in each domain (speaking, listening, reading, writing), with an overall score of at least 7.5, to be achieved in a single sitting and within 24 months of the time of application, -OR proof that your primary medical qualification has been undertaken solely in English, that all examinations undertaken were solely in English and that your primary medical qualification has included at least 75% of contact with patients in English, -OR, evidence of employment as a doctor in an NHS organisation for a minimum of 3 months.
- Meets the criteria set out in the generic capabilities framework -detailed in job pack
- Demonstration of acquisition of the level of knowledge and skills necessary for the completion of NHS Core Surgical Training Year 1, with acknowledged experience in Colorectal, Vascular Surgery or Upper GI Surgery.