Locum Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics with an interest in Shoulders
Applications are invited for the post of Locum Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics, with a sub specialty to suit the needs of the service, at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro.
The Trust is seeking to appoint a Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics with a specialist interest in Trauma and sub-specialty interest to complement the current department, to join a team of 24 Consultants/Associate Specialists providing a full range of services within Trauma & Orthopaedics. It is envisaged that this job will be trauma focussed but have opportunity to undertake elective practice to suit the department and to allow maintenance of elective competencies.
Main duties of the job
- Maintenance of the highest clinical standards in the management of orthopaedic surgical patients
- To deliver a high quality trauma service
- To maintain an elective interest to suit the needs of the service. This is a replacement locum post in anticipation of a possible substantive post and will be mainly trauma focused but will offer some elective opportunity and could for the right candidate be a developmental trauma only role.
- As we plan our elective recovery, there will be a strong trauma element to this job, understanding that relevant elective competencies need to be maintained.
- To share with colleagues responsibility for the day-to-day management of the T& O workload
- Teaching and training of junior staff and medical students where applicable.
- To have responsibility for ensuring active participation in continuing medical education (CME).
- To actively participate in both departmental and Trust matters concerning Clinical Governance and Audit.
- To attend meetings as appropriate.
- Fulfill duties of weekly timetable, including any out-of-hours responsibilities and to be a full participant in local MDT processes.
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is the biggest provider of healthcare services in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Our three main sites are Royal Cornwall Hospital Truro, St Michael's Hospital Hayle and West Cornwall Hospital Penzance, our staff and services are available across the region.
We work with health and social care organisations -including NHS Kernow and NHS England- to ensure local healthcare needs are met. We provide acute medical, surgical and specialist services to around 500,000- which can increase significantly during busy holiday periods.
The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the University of Exeter Medical School. Keeping at the forefront of medical advances, we continually develop clinical services and are committed to maximising the range of specialist care offered locally.
We can offer you a rewarding career in a supportive working environment. We have extensive educational links to help you realise your full potential and develop skills to provide outstanding healthcare to the local community.
Enjoy an outstanding quality of life in a place that offers surfing beaches and fishing harbours to beautiful countryside and historic towns. With clean air, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and excellent schools, colleges and universities (including adult education) it is the ideal place for families and for you to develop your own career.
PLEASE NOTE: To view the full Job Description and Person Specification, please click the supporting document on the right-hand side
To be an employee of the NHS you need to successfully complete the following:
- Identity Checks
- Professional registration and qualification checks
- Employment history and reference checks
- Work health assessments
- Criminal record check standards
- Right to work checks
For further information please visit:
- We reserve the right to close this advert early, or when the allocated number of applications has been reached. Please submit your application at the earliest opportunity.
- Agency interest will not be considered until this advert has closed.
- Full GMC Registration with a Licence to Practice
- An appropriate higher orthopaedic surgical qualification.
- Experience in a Trauma and Orthopaedic Fellowship
- Wide experience in all aspects of orthopaedic surgery, specifically Trauma Surgery
- Experienced in Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance
- Current experience of independent periprosthetic and revision hip arthroplasty
Practical and Intellectual Skills
- Speak fluent English to at least IELRS level 7.5.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills adapts style depending on audience.