We are looking for a Fellow in Paediatric Orthopaedics and Trauma. You will be based at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel. You will be joining a department with 22 consultant surgeons, of which 5 have a paediatric orthopaedic interest. Current elective and trauma facilities are centred at the Royal London with a brand new hospital, which opened in March 2012 with world-class facilities.
You must hold full registration with the General Medical Council and preferably be on the Specialist Registrar or within 3 months of obtaining CCT. Informal Ramachandran, Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon (Lead for Paediatric Orthopaedics and Trauma) on Manoj.email@example.com.
Main duties of the job
- To contribute to the provision of a comprehensive and efficient paediatric trauma and orthopaedic surgical service.
- To provide evidence-based care for all inpatients and outpatients and to work flexibly to the prescribed rota to support the service, including inpatient and outpatient duties.
- To have regard at all times to the clinical and quality standards set out in the NHS Plan, Your Guide to the NHS, and purchaser agreements.
- To participate fully in the management of the Department and to liaise closely with the Lead Clinicians for Paediatric Orthopaedics and of Orthopaedics and Trauma, General Manager and Clinical Director.
- The post holder may be required to carry out other duties in emergencies and unforeseen circumstances.
- The duties outlined are not definite and may be changed in accordance with needs of the service requiring the post holder to be cooperative and flexible.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate, and support an inclusive working environment where staff treat one another with dignity and respect. We aim to create an equitable working environment where every individual can fulfil their potential.
Barts Health supports The Pregnancy Loss Pledge and commits to supporting their staff through the distress of miscarriage.
For further details related to the main duties and responsibilities regarding the role, please refer to the job description attached.
- FRCS(Orth) or equivalent
- GMC registration
- Evidence of prior experience and training in paediatric orthopaedics
- Evidence of participation in research (peer reviewed publications etc.)
- Ability to offer an expert clinical opinion on range of elective & emergency problems within specialty
Clinical expertise in Speciality /Sub speciality
- Able to take full independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Higher Specialist Training in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery
- Audit experience
- Ability to advise on efficient & smooth running of a specialist service and to organise & manage outpatient priorities, surgical waiting & operating lists
- Experience of supervising doctors in training and in teaching clinical & operative skills
- Experience of audit management
- Experience of teaching clinical skills to undergraduates
- Experience of research, presentations to learned societies on topics related to surgery
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical/surgical problems
- Publications in indexed journals
- Ability to supervise postgraduate research
- Presentation skills
- Team, interpersonal & communication skills
- Teaching undergraduates and postgraduates
- Flexible approach to work and evidence of team working
- Self motivated with an enquiring, critical approach to work
- Ability to work under pressure
- Caring attitude to patients
- Commitment to continuing medical education
- Willingness to undertake additional professional responsibilities at local, regional or national level
- Reliable work record