Consultant Respiratory Physician with an interest in Sleep Medicine
Applications are invited for 1.0wte substantive position in Respiratory Medicine, based at Ealing Hospital. The successful applicant will join an expanding and dynamic forward-thinking team.
We would welcome hearing from applicants who are interested in a sub-speciality of Sleep Medicine.
The appointee will be responsible to the Divisional Director of Integrated Medicine for London Northwest Healthcare NHS Trust.
Main duties of the job
The department of Respiratory Medicine comprises 12.0 wte consultants across 3 sites: Ealing, Central Middlesex, and Northwick Park Hospitals. Although the post is based at Ealing Hospital, the successful applicant may be asked to work at any of the other sites in the future.
This post will contribute pro rata to the Acute Medicine Rotas in operation at the time of appointment. The successful applicant will support the Respiratory Sleep service, and general respiratory outpatient service. They will also join their consultant colleagues at the Ealing site where there is a 34 bedded Respiratory ward including a 6 bedded Enhanced Respiratory Unit.
The service is supported by a respiratory matron, 2 x band 7 CNS and a junior doctor establishment of 2.5 x SpR level, 4 x FY2 level and 2 x FY1s.
Main duties of the job
The appointee will take responsibility for respiratory in-patients on the general medical wards (typically 6S and the acute medical admissions unit), respiratory outliers on other wards and respiratory referrals. The respiratory team is responsible for non-invasive ventilation on 6S and other wards, as appropriate.
The appointee will be an integral part of both the sleep service at Central Middlesex Hospital, and the lung cancer service at Ealing Hospital. There is a dedicated lung cancer clinic, at Ealing Hospital, supported by a lung CNS and a combined MDT held at the Northwick Park Hospital site. There is an enthusiastic radiology lead, and oncology outpatient services are provided on-site by Dr Olivia Hatcher.
The sleep diagnostics at Central Middlesex are a mixture of NOX polysomnography and oximetry studies. The appointee will join 2 other sleep Consultants with respiratory physiology support. In the future we aim to setup a Home Mechanical Ventilation service.
The department of respiratory medicine is supported by 2 senior respiratory clinical nurse specialists, 2 trust grade registrars, 1 IMT3 trainee, 1 IM1 trainee, 1 FY2 trainee, 3 trust grade SHOs and 2 FY1 trainees.
Fibreoptic bronchoscopy is carried out using modern Olympus equipment in the Endoscopy Unit bi-monthly.
The successful candidate will take part in the unselected acute medical take.
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond. Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A& E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We continue to lead the way in a number of clinical services. Examples of excellence can be seen in our stroke service which is rated the best in the country and at St. Mark's Hospital, an internationally renowned specialist centre for colorectal diseases. We are also a leading provider in undergraduate and postgraduate medical training and education.
Please see JD for full job duties.
EH Resp OP activity 22/23 = 1689 news & 2446 follow ups.
Personal workload OPC template = 4new/8f/u x 3 OP sessions pw. Inpatients: 34 bedded ward = 2 x 4hr ward rounds pw plus 1 hour of ward referral triage
1:17 on call. Off site provision is by telephone. On site = 5pm-9pm followed by PTWR the next day between 7am-9am. Total 6hrs per session / 2.5 PA per month
On call duties include a PTWR from 7-9am
- GMC registered or within 6 months of CCT
Knowledge and Expertise
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining UK CCT in Acute and General Internal Medicine and Respiratory
- NHS experience within the last 3 years
- Experience of teaching and training undergraduates, postgraduates and junior medical staff
Management and Audit
- Understanding the principles of clinical governance and its implications
- Management qualification or current study towards management qualification
- Knowledge of research methodology
- Publications in peer review journals