We require enthusiastic and dynamic Anaesthetic Consultants to join our Department of Anaesthetics with special interest in Pain Management. Our two hospitals offer a varied scope of practice, with emergency and elective surgery split across the two sites. The Tunbridge Wells Hospital is the hub for emergency General surgery, Paediatrics, ENT, Lower GI, Bariatric surgery, Gynaecology, Bariatric, Obstetric services and Trauma surgery, while Ophthalmic, Urology, Upper GI, Breast and Gynae-oncology surgery is based at Maidstone Hospital. There are opportunities to develop personal interests in amongst other things management, research, governance, perioperative medicine, long term vascular access and medical education within the new Kent medical school. Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will work across both our Tunbridge Wells and Maidstone sites for anaesthesia and inpatient pain ward rounds. The dedicated chronic pain outpatient and intervention unit is based at the Maidstone site. In addition post-Covid we still offer a large number of virtual clinic outpatient appointments. This secondary care pain service works closely with our community partners to provide both triage and comprehensive evaluation and holistic pain management. Collectively we form the West Kent Integrated Pain Management Service.
The Anaesthetic department offers anaesthetic services across a wide range of surgical specialties including trauma and orthopaedics, ophthalmology, urology, general surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, regional anaesthesia and perioperative medicine. Applicants must be on the GMC Specialist register and have a minimum 12 months of advanced pain training or equivalent. FFPMRCA is desirable not essential. About us
The Trust provides general hospital services to a population of approximately 480,000 in West Kent and North East Sussex, and some specialist services to a considerably larger population.Around 120,000 new patients present each year to the A& E departments. Its major hospitals are the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury and Maidstone Hospital.
The Trust's Headquarters are at Maidstone Hospital. The Trust Chairman is Mr David Highton, the Chief Executive is Mr Miles Scott and the Medical Director is Dr Peter Maskell.The Chief Operating Officer is Mr Sean Briggs. The Clinical Director for Anaesthetics is Dr Helen Burdett and the General Manager is Ms Joana Silva.
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust is situated in an attractive part of the South East of England with good transport links to London and the Continent. We also have some of the finest schools in the country, in both state and private sectors. The Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury is situated in a picturesque setting Job description Job responsibilities
To provide a high standard of care to any patient for whom you have clinicalresponsibility. This will include any patients referred to you and cared for by you personally or by members of your team.
To participate in clinical and other service activities and developments with the aim of ensuring a high standard of patient care across the Trust.
To work in close co-operation with other medical, professional and managerial colleagues, both within and outside the speciality, to provide high quality health care to the Trusts patients, and to make a contribution to future thinking about the Trusts strategic direction.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS (or equivalent)
- Registered with GMC
- On the specialist register, or within 6 months of acquiring CCT
- 12 months of advanced pain training
Training and Experience Essential
- ALS/APLS/ATLS or NLS provider or instructor
- Additional complimentary post graduate qualification
- Additional graduate or intercollated degree
- Experience and documented competence in any one or more of the following specialist areas oTrauma and orthopaedics oRegional anaesthesia oObstetric anaesthesia oMajor surgery oPerioperative medicine
- Interest in Intensive care Medicine
- Evidence of participation and completion of audit projects
- Completed and presented the audit loop in a number of audits
- An understanding of general principles, scientific method and interpretation of literature
- Evidence of personal research projects and their presentation
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Evidence of organisational ability
Other requirements Essential
- Attended a National Health Service Management Course appropriate to Consultant duties
- Driving Licence
- Basic IT skills (email, Microsoft Office, MS Teams)
- Experience in the training or development of trainees in medicine
Personal Skills Essential
- Punctuality, reliability, enthusiasm, initiative, common sense
- Evidence of good communication skills
- Evidence of leadership
Employer details Employer name
- To have undertaken a postgraduate communication skills course
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust Address
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trsut - Cross site
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.