Our complete commitment to developing careers means we're looking for proactive, motivated, forward thinking, and dynamic individuals to join our clinical team. This post is an important part of our ongoing development of medical services at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, offering the successful applicant the opportunity to work closely with the existing Respiratory physicians to provide a high standard of care across the Trust. We are seeking consultants with enthusiasm, commitment, and drive to work closely with colleagues throughout the organisation and within the community to help lead the organisation.
This is a full-time consultant in general medicine with an interest in respiratory medicine and a sub-speciality interest in interstitial lung disease. The successful applicant will work closely with the present team of nine employed across the whole Trust, which includes the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, the New QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City and Hertford County Hospital in Hertford. The appointee will be based at the Lister Hospital, Stevenage, where the respiratory in-patients has been centralised, but will be expected to work at the sites within the Trust including the New QEII hospital at Welwyn Garden city and Hertford County Hospital at Hertford. Main duties of the job
The appointee will be expected to augment the services provided by the department, which provides a respiratory service 7 days a week and the applicant will be involved in 7 day working. S/He will be part of the General Medical Team of consultants and be expected to participate in the medical on call rota. The present chest physicians are enthusiastic and determined to build an excellent department. There is a substantial Respiratory NurseSpecialist Group, full Endoscopy services, Sleep Unit, and an expanding Lung Function Unit.
The Trust has a comprehensive programme of leadership mentoring available for newly qualified Consultants. Opportunities are also available to other Consultant appointees to play an active part in the programme. About us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen. Job description Job responsibilities
Organisation and provision of specialist respiratory services and thepromotion of the highest quality respiratory care within East & NorthHertfordshire NHS. The applicant will provide specialist respiratory inputfor acute respiratory admissions to ensure the highest quality care andoptimum effectiveness. The applicant will also provide care to generalmedical patients and participate in the general medical on call. They willsupport the development of sub-specialist services according to theirexpertise.
The appointee will be responsible for the care of inpatients andoutpatients in the Respiratory Department and will be expected toestablish and maintain the highest clinical standards in managingthese patients. Participation in the General Internal Medicine responsibilities of theRespiratory Team including the general medical on call Support of the units goal of delivering highly effective careapproaches The teaching and training of undergraduate and postgraduatestudents and junior staff To participate in both department and Trust matters concerningclinical governance and audit. To have responsibility for ensuring active participation in CMEthroughout. To support development and delivery of sub-specialist respiratoryservices.Person Specification Eligibility Essential
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Advanced Life Support or demonstration of ability to achieve ALS immediately upon appointment
Fitness to Practice Essential
- College Fellowship
- Postgraduate academic degree
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality Essential
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidence engagement with appraisal and revalidation
- Broad range of experience in Respiratory and General Medicine in particular: o Experience in acute medicine emergencies
- Fully competent with Bronchoscopy
- Experience and expertise in managing critically ill patients within a medical ICU and HDU environment
- Ability to offer and be accountable for, full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
Clinical Governance Essential
- A subspecialty interest in ILD.
- EBUS experience
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors.
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Experience in organising educational activities
Personal Skills Essential
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
- Put our patients first
- Strive for excellence & continuous improvement
- Value everybody
- Open and honest
- Work as a team
- Experience and understanding of the equality, diversity, and inclusion agenda. Able to actively support the development of a culture that recognises and promotes equality, values diversity, and actively leads by example in deploying these qualities. Understands the impact on equality, diversity, and inclusion issues in all aspects of service delivery and planning
- Computer literacy and general IT skills
Employer details Employer name
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight regarding all the domains within the GMC standards of 'Good Medical Practice'
- Understands and is able to demonstrate the values of the NHS Constitution
East and North Herts NHS Trust Address
Coreys Mill Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.