We are seeking an enthusiastic colleague to join our team of 14 gastroenterologists who work at Frimley, Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospitals.
Opportunities exist to develop a sub-specialty interest in IBD and nutrition. Applications from candidates with other subspecialty interest will also be welcomed. A higher degree in a related subject, experience with and enthusiasm for R& D/trial work would also be welcomed.
A higher degree in a related subject, experience with and enthusiasm for R& D/trial work would also be welcomed.
The ward and Gastro bleeding out of hours cover will be provided at Wexham Park. Currently this is on a 1:6 basis. The gastroenterology ward (3) is a 24 bedded unit with 6 side rooms and contains liver patients, IBD patents, nutrition patients and general medical patients.
Main duties of the job
On the ward duties will include consultant led ward rounds three times per week, with daily board rounds and new/unstable patient reviews. Time will be allocated for family discussions, specialty reviews on other wards and urgent in-patient endoscopies, admin, referral triage and SPA
When off the wards the post holder will provide two-three clinics per week and two-three endoscopy sessions, attend MDTs, meetings etc. The endoscopy sessions are expected to be provided cross site at Frimley, Wexham and Heatherwood
Weekly MDTs include Colo-rectal, Upper GI and HPB for malignancy as well as IBD, general gastroenterology In addition there is a weekly medical Grand Round and a journal club
Gastroenterology consultants are not part of the GIM on call rota. We currently provide weekend Gastro zone review combined with GI bleeding provision on a 1:6 basis. The GI bleeding rota is supported by two fully trained endoscopy nurses who attend for out of hours emergencies.
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust provides NHS hospital services for around 900,000 people across Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey and south Buckinghamshire.
We have three main hospitals - Frimley Park in Frimley near Camberley, Heatherwood in Ascot and Wexham Park near Slough.
Our three core values, and the behaviours that support them, guide everything we do and set out what we expect of our staff in the way they treat patients, visitors, service users and each other, Committed to Excellence, Working Together and Facing the Future.
Frimley Health is proud of its high quality endoscopy services which are provided in a 5 roomed dedicated suite at Frimley, a brand new 2 roomed unit at Heatherwood, where the pH and manometry studies are performed and at our dedicated 2 roomed in-patient Lady Sobell suite and the modular unit at Wexham. Services provided includes capsule endoscopy, single balloon enteroscopy and HALO EMR therapy to Barretts and early oesophageal cancers.
We are well supported by our anaesthetic colleagues and have access to several weekly propofol lists , to support the ECRP and EUS which have access to spyglass as well as the enteroscopy service and other luminal work.
Please refer to the full Job description and Person specification that is attached to this vacancy for more information.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register eligible for entry on Register or within six months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview
- Higher degree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc
- Able to evaluate own clinical practice
- Able to demonstrate innovative thinking
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organise and develop service provision
- Ability to work in a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Enquiring, critical approach to work
- Caring attitude to patients
- Able to demonstrate effective communication skills with patients, relatives, GPs, nurses and other agencies
- Able to demonstrate effective leadership skills
- Commitment to Continuing Medical Education and the requirements of Clinical Governance and Audit
- Undertaken a Leadership programme
- Highly developed communication skills
Professional / Specialist / Functional Experience
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining UK CCT in Gastroenterology
- Ability to offer expert clinical opinion on a full spectrum of medical patients
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Previous experience in participating in undergraduate and post graduate teaching
- Understand principles and participated in audit activity
- Ability to advise on efficient and smooth running of the Gastroenterology service
- Ability to organise and manage day to day service delivery
- Ability to manage and lead strategic developments in service delivery
- Experience of audit management
- Commitment and interest in general gastroenterology to complement the existing services and department
- Interest in advanced endoscopy or GI physiology
- Experience is hepatology unit or treatment of viral hepatitis
- Experience of teaching undergraduates and trainees
- To have completed a Training the Trainers course
- Computer literate - confident in using MS Office, Email and Internet
- Interest in research with publications