An exciting opportunity has arisen within the UGI surgical unit at Lancashire Teaching hospitals NHS Foundation Trust for a senior clinical fellow to join our department. The post is ideal for a suitably qualified individual seeking to extend their existing experience of upper gastrointestinal surgical services in an experienced and supportive department. The post-holder will be required to work across Royal Preston Hospital and Chorley District General Hospital. This is a fixed term post, available to commence as soon as possible but a suitable start date could be arranged with the successful applicant. Previous experience in General Surgery is essential.
Main duties of the job
- Carry out ward rounds and assist with the ward care of Upper GI patients
- assessment and management of emergency admissions
- Attend the regular operating sessions of the Clinical Team to assist with major surgery and be trained in skills of increasing complexity under the close supervision of the Consultant.
- Assist with/perform emergency operations
- Liaise with the junior trainees to ensure appropriate pre-operative work-up including imaging.
The Clinical Fellow will assist with the regular outpatient clinics under the guidance and supervision of the Consultant.
Currently there is a 1:12 full shift system in operation, with prospective cover for annual leave and study leave.
When on-call the Clinical Fellow is responsible for the care of all Surgical inpatients including those in general ITU, Paediatric and other wards.
Aside from the above, the Senior Clinical Fellow must accept to perform duties in emergencies and unforeseen circumstances at the request of the Consultants.
- Dictate discharge summaries.
- Dictate outpatient clinic letters and other relevant clinical correspondence.
- Dictate operating notes/write operation notes in conjunction with the Consultant.
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals is a major acute trust in the North-West. General Surgical services are currently delivered by a unified department across the Royal Preston and Chorley and South Ribble Hospital sites. The Royal Preston Hospital has been the centre for oesophago-gastric cancer for the Lancashire and South Cumbria Cancer Network since April 2009, with most benign upper gastro-intestinal work being carried out at Chorley and South Ribble Hospital. Emergency surgical patients are admitted to the Royal Preston Hospital where a 1 in 20 Consultant rota is currently in operation. Outpatient clinics, day surgery and endoscopic procedures are carried out on both sites.
Our team is our work family. At Lancashire Teaching Hospitals, you will be working as part of a collaborative, friendly and caring team of incredible people who are committed to providing excellent care with compassion. We celebrate diversity, encourage everyone to contribute, and you are valued for who you are.
Our values were developed in consultation with staff in 2010, our values define the actions, behaviours, and attitudes we expect from every member of staff and living by our values will ensure that colleagues, patients, families, and others are always treated in the right way. Our values are as follows:
- Being Caring and compassionate
- Recognising Individuality
- Seeking to Involve
- Building Team Spirit
- Taking Personal Responsibility
Please refer to the attached Job description for further details on:
- What we can offer
- Job Plan/On-call Requirements
- The Team
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- MBBS or equivalent
- Higher Medical Degree (MD or MSc)
- Peri or post CCT
Experience and Skills
- Basic surgical training
- Wide experience in General Surgery
- Understanding of research and ethics
- Evidence of interest in personal development e.g. through research and/or publications
- UK experience in General Surgery at middle grade level
- Involvement in audit